Image provided by: Bandon Historical Society Museum
About Bandon recorder. (Bandon, Or.) 188?-1910 | View Entire Issue (Dec. 19, 1907)
= don. in 1884 Rev. Wm. Lund took Churches of Bandon. charge and was succeeded in April, 1889 by the present rector, Rev. Win. Horsfall, who held his services u; in Rosa’s Hall and in a room of the pastors, building now occupied by the Bandoil In Bandon there are six church part of the time in connection with Drug Co. In 1893 the corner stone organizations, four of which own Myrtle Point, and the last few years of the Episcopal Church was laid by their buildings, and all have a good being part of the Coquille and Ban Bishop Morris. The church, which membership. The religious influence don charge: Revs. Quimby, was built by Wrenshall Bros., con of these churches has done, and is McCain, Buckner, Baldwin, Brink. tractors, was ^opened for service in doing much toward build.ng up a Good[>astlie, Bryan, Moore, My ers, 1895. and was consecrated by the moral and temperate community. It Holcombe, Beatty, Browne. Ellis, Bishop the same year, as the Church is said that Rev. Swafford had the and the present pastor, W. S. Gor of St. John by tiie sea. Bishop honor of preaching the first Protest don. Morris died in 1906, and was suc- ant sermon in Bandon. It was de- ceeded by Bishop Charles Scadding ivered in the open air on a romantic^ The church is now in a flourishing of Chicago. spot, at the western base of 1 upper condition, with good Sunday School, Rock. It was in the year ’75 or ’76. and Junior and Senior Epworth served by the following Central Warehouse J. E WALSTROM, Prop. REORGANIZED The first bell in Bandon is said to be League Chapters, and an energetic Ladies ’ Aid Society. There is no CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST. the one in the Episcopal church, debt on the property. This church was organized in Ban which u'as donated by Mrs. Sell wood. A brief history of some of the ----- OGO--------- CATHOLIC CHURCH. don, Feb. 19, 1901, by W L. Har ris, acting under authority of Apostle lie was assisted by St. Mary’s Catholic Church, the Elder C. E. Crumley. The mem oldest church organization in Bandon bership at that time was about 130, PRESBYTERIAN. was dedicated about twenty-five but since then the district has been Nearly seventeen years ago—Feb. years ago by Archbishop Segresh. divided into three branches, and the 6, 1891, the Presbyterian Church of The church property embraces about Bandon branch has a membership of Bandon was organized by the Rev. eight acres of land, located on a 64. The Sunday School was organ Bandon churches is given below : G. T--Griffiths. This was the be high bluff which commands one of ized in June, 1899. The Religio ginning of Presbyterianism on the the finest views in the town, and was started about four years ago, Coquille. At the time there were 6 overlooking the entire water front and meetings are held every Friday Church services are held charter members to enter into the and the Coquille River for miles, be night. Eneas McLean. Mr, Samuel sides the Pacific Ocean as far as eye every Sunday morning and evening. D. ^Barrows, Mrs. Deette Barrows, can see. When the property was A new church edifi<e is being Mrs. Catherine Charleson, Miss Jane purchased it was the intention to erected in the east part of town organization, namely: Vetaels Loading at Central Warehouse. Agents Steamer Elizabeth and Coquille River Transportation Co. A General Wharfage, Warehouse and Storage Business. Headquarters for Down Coast Freight Teams. MILL PASSENGER FEEDS, HAY, GRAIN, FEED DELIVERED FREE. CQAL. I AGENTS FOR STEAMER BREAKWATER Berth* Reserved on Application. Presbyterian Church. Bandon. Charleson, Mrs. D. T. Barrows, and erect a school, and it is hoped that which will soon be ready for occu Mrs. Ella M. McLean. With those before many years have passed, that pancy. persons as a necleus, the church has such a building will be started. Ser found a place for steady service and vices at present are held every third gradual growth. For awhile its Sunday in the month, Rev. Father membership included a contingent Raymond officiating. in Curry county, until a church was organized at Port Orford. Almost simultaneously with the beginning of the church, a Sunday School was or EPISCOPAL. Bishop Scott, the first Bishop of This was the Protestant Episcopal Church in followed before very long with a Oregon, died in 1867 and was sue- ceeded by Bishop Morris in 1869, Young People’s Society. CHRISTIAN CHURCH. This church was organized August 25, l9°7> by Rev. J. N. McConnell, State Evangelist, with a membership of 31. At present they meet every Lord’s Day, at 11 a.m. and p.m., in Concrete Hall. ganized with 14 pupils. The First Day Adventists, M. E. J. H. PRICE & CO Ship Builders. Church South and Methodist Protes The church was incorporated May who, in 1871 appointed Rev. E. tant have organizations, and hold 27, 1891, as the First Presbyterian Bonnell to the charge of the tide services occasionally. Church of Bandon. It was soon water and coast district pi Douglass, after this and yet within the ministry Coos and Curry. The jx>ints where of Mr. McLean, that the present services were held were Scottsburg, suitable building was begun and fin Empire City, and in a building on ished. Following Mr. McLean seven the north bank of the Coquille River ministers have served the church: above Randolph Slough, also at OUR YARDS HAVE A CAPACITY FOR FIVE 10 cents OCEAN GOING VESSELS AT ONE TIME. VESSELS TOPPED WITH PORT ORFORD each, three for 25 cents, CEDAR, A SPECIALTY. IF DESIRED, VESSELS postage or coin. WILL BE BUILT UNDER SHEDS. ALL MODERN APPLIANCES USED TO TURN OUT WORK QUICKLY AND EFFICIENTLY. This ¡taper for sale at this Revs. H. A. Mosser, A. Marcellus, Langlois, Port Orford and Ellens W. C. Scott, Robt. Ennis, Geo. Gil burg, now Gold Beach. Following office. lespie, A. Haberly, and Geo. H. Mr. Bonnell, the ministers in succes Roach. The church building was sion were Revs. Stevens, Wells (now Price, dedicated Jan. 31, 1904, free of debt. Bishop of Spokane) and Sellwood, This paved the way materially for who, in addition to the places above growth and greater efficiency. Dur mentioned, officiated at Gardiner, Marshfield, Coquille City and Ban- ing the mission services of J. E. Sny der and Mr. Jeffries in May, 1905, Street Scene in Bandon. From an Old Photo. the membership was doubled. Thus upon the foundation that has already been laid, the church seeks to build worthily, and to grow commensurate The Largest Shipyard ly with the growth of the community about her. On Coast of Oregon METHODIST EPISCOPAL. This Society was first organized in 1892, by the Rev. L. J. Jones, the Presiding Elder of the district. The Rev. Quimby was the first reg ular pastor stationed here. Services were first held in the Presbyterian Church, until 1892, when a church was erected. The charge has been .. --