=
don. in 1884 Rev. Wm. Lund took
Churches of Bandon.
charge and was succeeded in April,
1889 by the present rector, Rev.
Win. Horsfall, who held his services
u;
in Rosa’s Hall and in a room of the
pastors, building now occupied by the Bandoil
In Bandon there are six church
part of the time in connection with Drug Co. In 1893 the corner stone
organizations, four of which own
Myrtle Point, and the last few years of the Episcopal Church was laid by
their buildings, and all have a good
being part of the Coquille and Ban Bishop Morris. The church, which
membership. The religious influence
don
charge:
Revs. Quimby, was built by Wrenshall Bros., con
of these churches has done, and is
McCain, Buckner, Baldwin, Brink. tractors, was ^opened for service in
doing much toward build.ng up a
Good[>astlie, Bryan, Moore, My ers, 1895. and was consecrated by the
moral and temperate community. It
Holcombe, Beatty, Browne. Ellis, Bishop the same year, as the Church
is said that Rev. Swafford had the
and the present pastor, W. S. Gor of St. John by tiie sea.
Bishop
honor of preaching the first Protest
don.
Morris died in 1906, and was suc-
ant sermon in Bandon. It was de-
ceeded by Bishop Charles Scadding
ivered in the open air on a romantic^ The church is now in a flourishing
of Chicago.
spot, at the western base of 1 upper condition, with good Sunday School,
Rock. It was in the year ’75 or ’76. and Junior and Senior Epworth
served by the following
Central Warehouse
J. E WALSTROM, Prop.
REORGANIZED
The first bell in Bandon is said to be League Chapters, and an energetic
Ladies
’
Aid
Society.
There
is
no
CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST.
the one in the Episcopal church,
debt
on
the
property.
This church was organized in Ban
which u'as donated by Mrs. Sell
wood.
A brief history of some of the
----- OGO---------
CATHOLIC
CHURCH.
don, Feb. 19, 1901, by W L. Har
ris, acting under authority of Apostle
lie was assisted by
St. Mary’s Catholic Church, the Elder C. E. Crumley. The mem
oldest church organization in Bandon bership at that time was about 130,
PRESBYTERIAN.
was dedicated about twenty-five but since then the district has been
Nearly seventeen years ago—Feb. years ago by Archbishop Segresh. divided into three branches, and the
6, 1891, the Presbyterian Church of The church property embraces about Bandon branch has a membership of
Bandon was organized by the Rev. eight acres of land, located on a 64. The Sunday School was organ
Bandon churches is given below :
G. T--Griffiths.
This was the be high bluff which commands one of ized in June, 1899.
The Religio
ginning of Presbyterianism on the the finest views in the town, and was started about four years ago,
Coquille. At the time there were 6 overlooking the entire water front and meetings are held every Friday
Church services are held
charter members to enter into the and the Coquille River for miles, be night.
Eneas McLean.
Mr, Samuel sides the Pacific Ocean as far as eye every Sunday morning and evening.
D. ^Barrows, Mrs. Deette Barrows, can see. When the property was A new church edifi<e is being
Mrs. Catherine Charleson, Miss Jane purchased it was the intention to erected in the east part of town
organization, namely:
Vetaels Loading at Central Warehouse.
Agents Steamer Elizabeth and Coquille
River Transportation Co.
A General Wharfage, Warehouse and Storage Business.
Headquarters for Down Coast Freight Teams.
MILL
PASSENGER
FEEDS,
HAY,
GRAIN,
FEED DELIVERED FREE.
CQAL.
I
AGENTS FOR STEAMER BREAKWATER
Berth* Reserved on Application.
Presbyterian Church. Bandon.
Charleson, Mrs. D. T. Barrows, and erect a school, and it is hoped that which will soon be ready for occu
Mrs. Ella M. McLean. With those before many years have passed, that pancy.
persons as a necleus, the church has such a building will be started. Ser
found a place for steady service and vices at present are held every third
gradual growth.
For awhile its Sunday in the month, Rev. Father
membership included a contingent Raymond officiating.
in Curry county, until a church was
organized at Port Orford.
Almost
simultaneously with the beginning of
the church, a Sunday School was or
EPISCOPAL.
Bishop Scott, the first Bishop of
This was the Protestant Episcopal Church in
followed before very long with a Oregon, died in 1867 and was sue-
ceeded by Bishop Morris in 1869,
Young People’s Society.
CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
This church was organized August
25, l9°7> by Rev. J. N. McConnell,
State Evangelist, with a membership
of 31.
At present they meet every
Lord’s Day, at 11 a.m. and
p.m., in Concrete Hall.
ganized with 14 pupils.
The First Day Adventists, M. E.
J. H. PRICE & CO
Ship Builders.
Church South and Methodist Protes
The church was incorporated May who, in 1871 appointed Rev. E.
tant have organizations, and hold
27, 1891, as the First Presbyterian Bonnell to the charge of the tide
services occasionally.
Church of Bandon.
It was soon water and coast district pi Douglass,
after this and yet within the ministry Coos and Curry. The jx>ints where
of Mr. McLean, that the present services were held were Scottsburg,
suitable building was begun and fin Empire City, and in a building on
ished. Following Mr. McLean seven the north bank of the Coquille River
ministers have served the church: above Randolph Slough, also at
OUR YARDS HAVE A CAPACITY FOR FIVE
10 cents
OCEAN GOING VESSELS AT ONE TIME.
VESSELS TOPPED WITH PORT ORFORD
each, three for 25 cents,
CEDAR, A SPECIALTY. IF DESIRED, VESSELS
postage or coin.
WILL BE BUILT UNDER SHEDS.
ALL
MODERN APPLIANCES USED TO TURN OUT
WORK QUICKLY AND EFFICIENTLY.
This ¡taper for sale at this
Revs. H. A. Mosser, A. Marcellus, Langlois, Port Orford and Ellens
W. C. Scott, Robt. Ennis, Geo. Gil burg, now Gold Beach. Following
office.
lespie, A. Haberly, and Geo. H. Mr. Bonnell, the ministers in succes
Roach. The church building was sion were Revs. Stevens, Wells (now
Price,
dedicated Jan. 31, 1904, free of debt. Bishop of Spokane) and Sellwood,
This paved the way materially for who, in addition to the places above
growth and greater efficiency. Dur mentioned, officiated at Gardiner,
Marshfield, Coquille City and Ban-
ing the mission services of J. E. Sny
der and Mr. Jeffries in May, 1905,
Street Scene in Bandon. From an Old Photo.
the membership was doubled. Thus
upon the foundation that has already
been laid, the church seeks to build
worthily, and to grow commensurate
The Largest Shipyard
ly with the growth of the community
about her.
On Coast of Oregon
METHODIST EPISCOPAL.
This Society was first organized
in 1892, by the Rev. L. J. Jones,
the Presiding Elder of the district.
The Rev. Quimby was the first reg
ular pastor stationed here.
Services
were first held in the Presbyterian
Church, until 1892, when a church
was erected.
The charge has been
.. --