Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About Morning Oregonian. (Portland, Or.) 1861-1937 | View Entire Issue (Jan. 2, 1905)
THE- KORNIKG OltEGONIAK KOlTDAY,, 105.
WITH available funds only amount
ing to a fraction of the sums at
the disposal of other spates, Ore
gon made an exhibit at the St Lodls
Exposition -which carried off prizes In
every department, including- the grand
prize for grains and grasses and butter.
Such results show that, the State Com
mission has given the people of Oregon
good value for the $50,000 placed at its
disposal for this purpose.
In the agricultural department the ex
hibit is complete, and practically shows
a full collection, for -which over 100 med
als have been awarded, one-half of them
gold, and the highect award lias been
given the grains and grasses.
The horticultural exhibit was for a long
time compelled to exist on the fruit
which, had been shipped east and placed
In cold storage, but as coon as we were
able to procure the 1201 crop of fruit, the
exhibit was put in the very best condi
tion, was the. equal of any within the
horticultural building, and will receive
the highest awards.
0,n the educational exhibit a great 'deal
ot work has been done, but the commit
tee in charge found it very difficult to
obtain thc assistance necessary, largely
for the reason that the Oregon people
had never made such an exhibit, and
therefore were not prepared. But Vthe
exhibit attracted a great deal of atten
tion, and has been an advantage to our
state worth every dollar that it cost.
The forestry exhibit attracted much
attention, was in proportion to its size
the equal of anything at the World's
Fair, and the large timbers that were
shipped from Oregon at a great expense
undoubtedly attracted as much notice as
any exhibit in that department. This
exhibit won the highest awards, includ-
states in the Union, The Hazelwood peo
ple are entitled to great credit from the
citizens of cur state for their most ex
cellent work in this department.
There Is no doubt that the Stafe of Ore
gon, through its very small expenditure
In these departments, has received as
many medals as any state in the United
States, and our exhibits were more than,
the equal of any, for each exhibit was
obliged to depend only on its merits, as
no money could be used to produce an
artificial effect by expensive installation
to procure awards.
Messrs. Douglas, Johnson and Scott,
superintendents ot the agricultural de
partment, Mr. Galloway ot the horticul
tural. Professor Lyman, and Mr. Landers
of the educational, Mr. Sheldon of for
estry, Mr. Mellis of Mining and George
T. Meyers, Jr., of fish and game, are all
entitled to great credit for their arrange
ment and care of the various exhibits.
They were courteous, Intelligent, and
gave to.tHe visitors Information that
will -bring about a great deal of good to
our state. Being all Oregon men, with
full and complete-knowledge of the state,
they were In a position to give state
ments that were true and reliable. Mr.
Mellis. in charge ot the mines, with the
collection which "ho furnished the state.
Is, entitled to special mention.
President of the Lewis and Clark Cen
tennial Exposition Commission.
UNIQUE OREGON BUILDING.
Replica of Fort Clatsop Attracts a
OREGON'S building was situated in a
grove of hickory and oak trees, on a
hill Just back of the Festival Hall and
on the main thoroughfare leading from
the Fine Arts Palace to the Government
Ing a gold medal on practically every
The mining exhibit was very, difficult
to collect, for -the reason that mines are
usually so far distant from shipping fa
cilities that no complete collection had
ever been made within the state, and that
the real benefits to be derived were not
known to the prospector and owner. But
from the collection at Baker City and
from other parts of the state specimens
were gathered and so arranged that they
made an exhibit, in proportion to its size,
the equal of any In the building. It was
awarded a number of gold medals.
The fish and game exhibit was very
attractive. Six pairs of China pheasants
were a sourco of constant enjoyment to
visitors. I believe every entry in this
department received a gold medal.
In the livestock department, the state
made, no special exhibit, but arranged for
several carloads ot cattle, sheep and
goats to bo placed on exhibition. Each
shipment received the highest award for
the best breeding and best stock. These
exhibits have certainly surprised the
Eastern stockraiser and have demon
strated that the mild climate and good
feed of Oregon are a most valuable aid In
producing the best.
In our dairy department a very full
and complete exhibit was made by the
Hazelwood Cream Company in the name
of the state. This exhibit was one of
the most attractive in the agricultural
department end received a gold medal In
competition with exhibits from other
states which cost a very large sum of
money, thus furnishing absolute proof
that Oregon Is one of the best dairy
building and exhibition palaces. The site
was one of the most advantageous, for
obvious reasons, and, being centrally lo
cated, received its quota of visitors, com
paring very favorably, with any other
The idea of constructing the replica of
old Fort Clatsop and stockade was cer
tainly a good one, as It did much to ad
vertise the Fair of 1S05, and also set be
fore the eyes of the Middle Westerner
and Easterner the fact that we have some
of the finest lumber in the world. The
logs used in construction were all shipped
from Oregon, and, being of a uniform
size, made a much better appearance than
otherwise. The building was finished in
natural woods, pine, nr. cedar, larch.
spruce, which gives a very pleasing ef
feet to the beholder. In each of the
wings, and also In the reception-room.
were numerous Indian cozy corners,
where may be seen beautiful Indian robes.
blankets, shawl3, together wan many
portraits of noted chiefs and views ot
Indian life, which was made more real
Istlc by a huge black bearskin -and a fine
cougar skin. An immense old-fashioned
fireplace, with massive mantel, added
much to the effect of the reception-room
being in keeping with its finish and style,
The furniture was made of bent hickory
with the bark on, after the fashions of
The wall decorations were composed of
pictures of Oregon's famous natural
scenery. Among the most notable were
Mount Hood, 11.225 feet high; Mount Jef
ferson and Three Sisters, all of which are
PRIZE-WLKXtN G OREGON LIVE
STOCK. C. E. IADD'S HERD OF
SHORTHORNS: W. M. IADD'S JER
SEY COW, IX) RETT A D. WILLIAM
RIDDLE'S ANGORA DOE.
wire netting was stretched, containing
jver a dozen live Chinese pheasants.
A large whlt'e swan held a place of
prominence, and exceedingly valuable
specimens of the large blue and light
heron pleased the eye.
Near the top of the booth, surrounded
by mounted deer and elk heads, was the
largest moose head in the Palace, while
Interspersed throughout the exhibit -were
well-select jd specimens of smaller ani
mals, sucli as mink, gray fox. muskrat,
bobcat, gray ' squirrel, etc Around tho
outer edges large fishnets were draped,"
making a complete border.
It was the endeavor of this department
to give prominence In its display to the
great fish Industry, from which, the state
annually derives over $3,000,000.
One feature of the exhibit that aroused
much Interest is the largo number of
small bottles, showing the evolution . ot
the salmon from the egg, until "the fry
is able to take food. A full explanation of
the hatchery process, together with a
short narration of the life history of the
salmon, never falls to cause expressions
of deep Interest.
This display was daily visited by fully
as many people as any other in the Pal
ace, and was pronounced, by all a credit
to the State of Oregon.
The fish and game exhibit faroa very
well In the way of premiums, receiving
gold medals, silver medals- and bronze
covered with snow the year round; Mult
nomah Falls. S40 feet high; Latourell
Falls, 300 feet high; Willamette Falls, not
so noted for their height aa for their
breadth and great power; Celllo Falls, on
the mighty Columbia River. An excep
tionally fine paroramic view ot Portland,
15 feet long, graced the mantelpiece.
while there were groups or photos of the
different beautiful town? in Oregon.
The building took with the public at
the start, and endeared Itself in the
hearts ot the visitors more than any other
on the grounds. Favorable comments
were heard on all sides, and people who
entered our state building did not enters
others with the same feeling, as they
considered them too fine, and were not
sure that they would be welcomed. The
building was sold after the fair to Ander
son Gratz. who is making a Summer resi
dence of it near St. Louis.
About 1.OS0.000 people visited the bulld-
cannot be estimated in dollars and cents,
but will be manifold.
PISH AND GAME.
Great Salmon Industry Leading Fea
ture in Great Exhibit.
TO A PERSON who possesses but a
casual knowledge of the great sal
mon industry and the many varieties of
game found within tho borders of the
state, the Oregon Fish "and Game Ex
hibit In the Palace ot Forestry was, In
deed, a revelation.
The entire cxlhbit was so arranged as to
present Jto the vision a beautiful picture,
-which never failed to Incite exclamations
ot appreciation and surprise. In the fore
ground were three large pyramids of Co-
immense royal chinooks, preserved in al
cohol, were artistically arranged between
the pyramids, also, trout of various kinds.
Including the far-famed mountain beauty
Dolly Varden and Steel Head. Near the
base of each pyramid wefe several jars
of razor clams, .the best ot the 14 vari
eties found upon the Oregon coast, and
from the top of the central structure a
large bald eagle looked down.
The background consisted of a beauti
ful array of Oregon . native birds, beauti
fully mounted and artistically arranged
on br-rfcets. Here were choice speci
mens of practically all of the Oregon game
birds. Including the mountain quail, val
ley quail. Bob White, the English quail,
ptaimlgan, blue or mountain grouse, the
muffled grouse or Oregon pheasant,
prairie .chi ikens and sage hens, and nu
merous vailetles of wild ducks.
In conspicuous places were many mount
ed specimens of the Chinese pheasant,
which, by general admission, was the
ing. judging by estimates made at varl- j lumbia River canned salmon of 12 brands ' most beautiful game bird exhibited in the
ous times. A great many were interested i of royal chinooks. which cwnstituted the Palace, and attracted much attention by
in Oregon, and the returns which she wfll I best display of Its kind ever offered by 1 Its splendid plumage. At one end was a
receive from her display at St. Louis J the state. Several glass jars containing J large cage mado of Oregon fir, over which
PRODUCTS OF THE FARM.
Prize-Winning Grains and Grasses,
Big Potatoes, Flax and Prunes.
OREGON'S exhibit in the Palace ot
Agriculture embraced all the prod
ucts of the soil, and many ot the range.
It was on the main aisle,-surrounded by
pretty fence of Oregon fir, finished in
lent and well Illustrates the mildness of
the climate of Oregon, which will produce
a good Winter crop from what la sup
posed to be solely a Spring crop.
That we can grow big potatoes is an
assured fact. Those on exhibition were
of last year's crop, but .kept well and had
never been lh cold storage. Our neighbor,
Colorado, made potatoes her leader, and.
as she kept them in cola storage, was
able to renew the exhibit every few weeks.
Owing to the superior keeping qualities
of the Oregoif potato, it was not necessary
for us to do this. A short time ago a
gentleman from Gervais brought to the
Fair some potatoes planted May 10. 1903.
and dug May 14. 1904, which were large
and in good condition.
.Hops were exhibited both on the vine
and in the bale, which Interested many
who had never seen them, either grow
ing, or harvested. A gentleman from Mis
souri, who had never seen hops before,
asked what kind of a machine was used
to thresh them, so as to get them In tho
bale. The baled hops Interested brewers
and buyers, and they pronounced ours
HOW YOUNG ARE" TAUGHT.
Education Exhibit Showed Fully
Methods of Oregon Schools.
THE educational exhibit occupied a.
prominent position, a triangular
space in the Education' and Social Econ
omy building. It was Inclosed on one sldo
by a solid wall, on another by a facade
containing four Roman Dorian columns
supporting Roman arches, and on a third
side by low capitals and a plain friezo
with a four-foot wall above.
The Oregon exhibit In several respects
compared very favorably with those of
natural wood. On either sidj of the three
entrances were long Oregon fir tables,
covered with canned'fruits of nearly every
description. These entrances all led to
the center of the space, where a dome 20
feet in diameter and 15 feet, high was sup
ported by eight columns IS feet in height.
This dome . was entirely covered with
small bundles of grain of the first quality,
placed side by side, four rows, one above
the other, being necessary.
Oregon grains possess qualities which,
are so striking as to demand instant no
tice from tho average visitor: Great
length and peculiar brightness of straw,
size of head and color and plumpness of
kernel. Wo were frequently asked If the
straw was not bleached to give it Its
brightness, and one person confidentally
"Say, now, honestly tell me, isn't that
long wheat straw spliced, or did It ac
tually grow that way?"
The display of grasses comprised both
the native and cultivated varieties used
for hay and grazing purposes. They were
for the most part sent out by the experi
ment stations of the Oregon Agricultural
College, particularly the branch station
at Union. The alfalfa of 1903. sent from
the main station "at Corvallis, was of
great Interest, since it was grown without
Irrigation, and consisted of three cuttings,
which yielded a total of something like
six tons per acre.
The flax, was grown in the vicinity of
Salem, and owing to its length and fine
straw, was much admired by people who
are acquainted yrith flax-growing. One
bunch exhibited, was from this year's
crop, having becn'planted October 15, 1903,
and harvested June 10. 1904. It was excel-
stateg that spent from three to five times
as much money on installation.
In thecenter was an octagonal inclos
ure, from the faces of which radiated
shelves for the display of the bound vol
umes of manuscripts, Its sides being cov
ered with framed paintings by pupils and
photographs of schools and school chil
dren. On the middle of the' wall was a largo
relief map of Baker County, surrounded
by smaller papier mache maps of the
continents and of Oregon. Below these
was City Superintendent Rigler's pro
gramme sheet- On each side of this cen
terpiece were arranged drawings and
paintings by the schools, and maps and
photographs of characteristic scenes ot
Oregon. Below were shelves for bound
volumes, and above these the Trenton
cabinets, containing drawings and photo
graphs. The walls above the arches were
covered with colored designs, maps and
pictures. On tables and In showcases
the Sloyd and needlework were displayed.
The exhibit was distinctively the work
of the public schools. Three state Insti
tutions only were represented. The Deaf
Mute School, at Salem, showed how it
teaches housework, 'needlework and man
ual labor, in addition to the elementary
branches Its exhibit Included a set of
harness made by pupils. The Institute
for the Blind showed samples of manual
work, knitting and basket- weaving,
which attracted much attention. Tho
Normal School of Monmouth presented a.
good display. Exhibits were made by
several private institutions, including
Portland Academy and Pacific University.
Philomath made a good display of car-
O REG ON' BUILDING AT ST. LOUIS, l"OKT CLATSOP XEPXOOUCED.