Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About The west shore. (Portland, Or.) 1875-1891 | View Entire Issue (Feb. 1, 1884)
THE WEST SHORE.
Mining and Smelt
ing Company of Kpt
chum, Idaho, shipped
2G9 car loads of twelve
tons each of bullion
from the Wood River
mines, during the six months from May to November,
1883. The smelter consists of two 40-ton and two 50-ton
stacks. The compnny handles ore from more than eighty
mines. The general average yield is 149 per ton, and
the average price paid for ore is $102 per ton. E. Green
is General Manager of the company and G. B. Moulton
is Superintendent. During the same period 3,322 tons
of crude ore worn shipped from the same region. These
figures embrace only shipments by the Oregon Short
Line since it was completed to Wood River.
D. 0. Crane has invented a machine for saving the
fine flour gold of Snake River, and if it will do what is
claimed for it, that stream will be mined for 300 miles
along its course in Idaho. Instead of being exposed to
one surface as on the ordinary plates in this machine
it is not only exposed to many surfaces, but by the mo
tion of the shaft and the wings is thrown against the
interior of the cylinder. The inside of the machine and
also the wings are quicksilvered, so that the gold will
adhere. In working tests near Blackfoot it is claimed
that every particle of gold was saved."
A new method for separating gold from sand without
the aid of water is reported to have been discovered. A
wheel, fifteen feet in diameter, throws sand by centrifugal
force against a moving surface of mercury, which amal
gamates the gold, while an air blast blows away the sand,
This is a new application of the old style of " dry wash
ing" used by the Mexicans and in California in early
The new concentrating works of tne Helena Mining
and Reduction Company, at Corbin, Montana, are the
most complete in the Territory. They have a capacity of
125 tons in twenty-four hours, and cost in the neighbor
hood of $60,000. It is located midway between Jefferson
City and Wickes, and will treat the ores of the Alta Mine
The transfer of coal properties at Coos Bay to outside
capitalists has been followed by on increased output A
new iron collier is being constructed to run from there to
San Francisco, and the outlook for greater development
of the mines at Coos Bay is very bright
A rich ledge of carbonate and galena was discovered
last summer on the Columbia, twenty miles above the
mouth of the Spokane, and is now being thoroughly
prospected. The vein is eight feet wide. Wood and
water are abundant
The quartz of the Cariboo and Independence mining
districts, near Deer Lodge, Montana, is attracting con
siderable attention from capitalists.
The smelter recently erected at Stevensvillo. in Mis
soula County, Montana, is proving a great Bucoess.
Sampling works will be erected at Dillon. Montana.
in the spring.
m i m
The shipment of spars from Pucot Sound to Eastern
and Australian shipyards is increasing.
The new saw mill at Port Ludlow. W. T.. htm hwn
running several weeks. An electric light is used to
illuminate the mill anil wharf at night
A Baw mill, with a daily capacity of 40.000 foot was
recently completed at Springbrook, at the mouth of the
JNasel lliver, seven miles from Oystervulo, W. T.
The several lime manufacturers on Orcaa Island.
Puget Sound, did a flourishing business the past year.
inreo arms shipped ou.ouu barrels, principally by the
A saw mill, with a capacity of 80,000 foot per day, is
being constructed on Big Potlatch Frairie, in Nez P.orco
County, Idaho. Settlers in that region have folt the
need of a mill severely.
The Echo Roller Mills of Spoknno Falls have been
running Bince November. The present capacity is ICO
barrels of flour, but the mills are ho planned that this
can be increased to 800 barrels daily.
A match factory has been established at Albany, Or.,
which will have a capacity sufficient to supply tho whole
trade of the Northwest Tho proprietors are exiorienood
manufacturers and capable of producing superior goods.
The salmon canneries of British Columbia, located
chiofly on FraBor River, Smith's Inlet and Skeona and
Naas rivers, have an invested capital of $1100,000, employ
2,500 men, and put up alxmt 250,000 cases of minion
annually. Last year 7,000 barrels of the fish were salted.
The Chehalis is rapidly becoming one of the groat
lumbering streams of the coast Eligible timlter lands
are in great demand Several new saw mills are being
erected at various points. One on Thayor's Island, in
Gray's IIarlxr, is nearly completed, and will have a
daily capacity of 100,000 foot
At Eugene City 20,000 bottles of cider were put up
lost year by W. II Abrams, who is also engaged in dry
ing fruit by the evajioration process. His establishment
has a capacity of 300 bushols of apples and 200 of plums
daily. This is a business that should receive more atten
tion. Oregon fruit can in this way bo rendered highly
profitable and independent of fluctuating markoU.
The works of the Skidgatn Oil Company are located
on Graham Island, and consist of boilers, retorts, drying
pans, settling tanks, etc. The oil of the dog fish, whoso
liver yields eighty per cent of oil of a light amlior color,
is refined by the company. The fish are caught in deep
water with trawl lines, as many as 250 being taken at one
lifting of tho trawls. This oil is coming into genoral use
as a lubricator.