Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About Medford mail tribune. (Medford, Or.) 1909-1989 | View Entire Issue (May 31, 1959)
AmftDdfilhi Posfttfkfc' D.mieDiuidledl 10 MAIL TRIBUNE, Medford, Or. Sunday, May 31, 1959 Phoenix Country Store Was Center ot Area Activity During By JOE COWLEY Mail Tribune Staff Writer A group of men in rough cut clothing stamp the mud off their shoes and enter a tall wood-frame building, move through bales of merchandise, bins and barrels and enter a smoke-filled back room domi nated by a large wood stove. The building is the general store of Frank Towne, owned by him from about 1882 to 1901. This was one of the first such stores erected in Phoen ix founded on donation claim donated by Sam Colver. The old New England style coun try store was the supply cen ter for tJie farm community of that day, contained a fourth class post office and its back room was perhaps the social center for the farmers when they visited town. This is the way it was de scribed by Miss Marian Towne and her sister, Mrs. - Anna Smith, whose father operated the first general merchandise store in Phoenix. Their father purchased the store from Con rad (Coony) Sergeant, who built it. , . ' Store Passes Owners AKn.it 10ni Trramo sVIrl it to Will Coleman who in turn sold it to Bert Hearn, then it passed through a 'number of hands. It was located where the Truax market is on the corner of Second and Main sts. The little post office didn't contain many boxes. The town and country residents usually got their mail by gen eral delivery. Miss Towne re members standing on a aox and handing the mail over the counter to the customers when she was a little girl Frank Towne came from Maine where the general store was a community institution for the easterners. He modeled his store after those of Maine. Around the store were the barrels, bins and shelves con taining the staples of te Jay. On the other side would be the drygoods, bolts of calico, clothing items and shoes. Coffee was purchased by the pound green, then roasted at home and ground. Tobacco was sold by the plug and was cut on a machine attached to which was a deafer-like . - , , j i nj arm wnicn wouia oe pu-ueu down to cut off each tobacco chunk as it was measured off. Women Smoke Pipes Women of those days also smoked pipes, using small clay ones, or corncobs and carrying their cut tobacco in small Bull Durham-like sacks. Sometimes, like the men, they would whittle on plugs to fill their pipes. Mrs. Smith re members one woman who would come to their house on Second st. in Phoenix, (which is still standing much as it was in the older days) puff on her small clay pipe and tell ghost stories. Mrs. Smith "said after one of those ghost-story telling ses sions, she became so scared the ran out in the street in front of the house and waited for her mother to come home from the store. Crackers came in boxes about two feet long and al most as deep. These could be mivAtiqccMl Vfc-t, tVio TinnnH nr VV the nickel's worth. Calico then sold either 10 or 15 cents a yard. "We considered 15 cent cali co as very fine stuff, believe you me!" Miss Towne com . mented. There were also a few dishes and the hardware used then. Tea came in large ornate la quered boxes that have since become collector's items. No body then bought flour in less than 50-pound sacks. Families were large and women did their own baking, Miss Towne said. Shipped io Portland Farmers bought their but ter and eggs to the Towne store and these were shipped off to Portland. It was in Portland also where Towne nurchased his suDDlies. The farm women made their own "old Oregon cheese" which was nroduced in large rounds. Mrs. Sam Furry, wife of one of the prominent Phoe nix Dioneers. was one of the famous cheese makers of the area and time. One of the prominent pio neers who came to the general store was Hub Coleman, who Mrs. Smith described as hav ing a bushy white beard which came far down on his chest. He was gruff, but good heart ed and a good neighbor, she said. "Uncle Hub Coleman was a good man. They had to be good men in those days to survive the hardships," Mrs. Smith noted. IT-sd Butter Maker ' Trs. Hub Coleman was also one cf the noted butter mak-J e:-s of the day. Hub Coleman was the father-in-law of Mrs. Loiiy Coleman, who now lives in i'noenix near tne colver house. Other well-known men of the day who visited the store were John Mills, Emerson Gore, Quentin Anderson, Jack Anderson and Dr. George Kahler, one of the first horse and huggy doctors of that area. i&P ' .' ''' N. - PHOENIX GENERAL STORE - One of the first stores in Phoenix was operated by Frank Towne from approximately 1882 to 1901. The building was erected by Conrad (Coony) Sergeant who sold it to Towne. A group of the old timers of that day are EASTER PROGRAM - The building shown above replaced the one constructed in 1892. It was built-during, the summer vacation period of 1912, and completed in time for Ceremony Held to Dedicate Flag Pole in Phoenix Phornix - A flag - raising ceremony in front of the Phoenix city hall Friday eve ning led off the Memorial Day week end festivities for Jack son county. About 5:30 p.m. Friday a group .of the townsfolk, the mayor and members of the city council participated in ceremonies to dedicate the new flag pole erected in front of the"building on Second st. Mayor Arthur MacKintosh made a short speech. The Rev. William Saladin, Phoe nix Presbyterian church, gave the benediction. E. R. Claflin, Phoenix, presented a U. S. Marine Corps flag in behalf of his son, Lynn, who was killed on Iwo Jima in World War II. Following Claflin's brief address, two other sons, Vincent and Cecil Claflin at tached the flag to ' the hal yards of the new pole. Then Vin ent Claflin slowly raised the colors as Harry Kannasto, Phoenix High school music in structor, blew taps. Lynn Chaflin had served in the Third Marines in the Solo mon islands in the South Pa cific. He was one of four sur vivors in his company from that action. Following treat ment for his wounds Sgt. Claflin was sent to Iwo Jima with the Fifth Marines. After his death the E. R- Chaflins received on his behalf the bronze star. His unit received the U. S. Navy unit citation and the Presidential- citation. A recent Agriculture De partment survey revealed that most homemakerr- would choose oranges if they could have only one fruit or fruit juics for a month. Early Years. Many of the townsfolk and farmers used to gather around the old stove in the general store's back room. There the men would argue about poli tics and current events of the day. So many men would gather around the stove that Miss Towne said she had to push her way through the men shown gathered in front of the old general store where it was located where the Truax market is now at Second and Main sts. in Phoenix. .The man standing in the door way and wearing a straw hat is the owner and proprietor, Frank Towne. ' -" '' i 'vv';--,, ' J"?- .- 42&&nm fall classes. V. school in the taken at Easter FIRST HOUSE - The first school house, shown above, was built by Jim Collins on the site of C. W. Sage's present resi dence. Miss Lou Houston taught the first school, supported by taxation, in this building in the spring of 1874. New Officers Are Anthony Marshall, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Marshall, was elected president of the student body, at St. Mary's High school forjnext year. Other student body offic ers' are Jere Randolph, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard E. Ran dolph, vice president; Mary Robinson, daughter of Mrs. Mildred Robinson, secretary; and John Snider, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Snider, treas urer. ' Senior class president for next year is Thomas Tomjack, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Tomjack. Fred Burich, son of Dr. and Mrs. Fred Burich, was named junior A class presi dent, and Anne Manno, daugh ter of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony R. Manno, junior B class presi dent. Sophomore class president is Susan Reavis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Reavis. Sodality prefect will be Thomas Hersant, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Bernardi, and Letterman club president will be Roger Haut, son of Mrs. LaVonne Haut. assembled there. It was there the nails were kept in small kegs. : It was probably from listen ing to the political arguments in the backroom of her fa ther's store that Miss Towne became interested in politics and public affairs. She later became the first woman legis lator in Oregon. A. Davis taught the first building. The picture was Sunday program in 1912. Named at School Other officers, elected in clude Ann Darland, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd E. Dar land, Lancette, girls pep club, president; Donald McPherson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald McPherson, lord chancellor Lancers, boys pep club; Mary Joe'Batzer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Batzer, yell queen; and cheer leaders, Lynne Parsons, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. R. Parsons; Anne Haviland, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul W. Havi land; Dolo,res Cooper, daugh ter of Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Cooper, and Daryl Zapell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Zapell. SLOW BUT SURE Prairie Du Chien, Wis. -(LTD -Terry Seeley received a reply this week to a mesasge he put in a bottle in July, 1955, and tossed in the Wis consin river. Donna Olsen, 12, of Alma, wrote that she found it - at a point 100 miles, six sets of river locks - and nearly four years down stream. Mgmm Little Interest Was Shown in Education During Early Years (Editor's note: The fol lowing article about the history of the Table Rock school district was given at a meeting of the Table Rock Community club April 28, 1933. Information in the ar ticle was compiled April 1. 1933, by V. A. Davis, one of the teachers of the early schooL Excerpts from the history follow.) By V. A. DAVIS Ever since the early pio neer days, education has been fastered and has held a prom inent place in the rise and progress of the county. When the county's founda tions were laid, the founders, with prophetic vision, made provision for the laying out of school districts -and main tenance of schools. Jackson ville school district No. 1 was the parent of all the others. On July 19, 1854, this dis trict was organized with T. F. Royal the first county school superintendent. Owing to the scattered population, the dis trict was at first very large with boundaries irregular and oft-times imaginary. As the population increased, business developed and transportation improved, districts were re duced in size, re-arranged and reorganized. Historical Events Many historical events re corded in southern Oregon history took place within the boundaries of some of the present school districts. One of these is the Table Rock dis trict, located in the most charming, picturesque and fertile spot in the county. It was here that the treaty that ended the Rogue River Indian war in 1853 ,was signed. Among early children of the mother district was Antioch, No. 18. This district, original ly known as the Mountain dis trict, was set off Oct. 31, 1860. The specified boundary began in the center of Lower Table Rock, thence north to Evans creek, east to the center of Rogue river, down the center of the river' to the place of beginning. Little Interest Shown This was a thinly populated region of a varied surface, with a great area. For several years after formation of the district, little interest was shown in education; no dis trict officials elected; and no school maintained by taxa tion. But interest in the necessity of educating growing boys and girls was revived and in 1867 J. A.- Burns taught a "sub scription" school in an old log cabin that stood near the site 6f the present Antioch school house. i ' Afterward, Burns taught several such schools in the district and at Phoenix and later became one of the lead ing educators in the county ,In 1870 he taught a spring term subscription school in an old log cabin that stood on the knoll near the Schafer residence. John Potter taught a similar school for three months in 1871 and Mary Mo Cabe taught a spring term in an old cabin in 1872. That was the last school ever held in the old cabin. No School About that time school was not held in the district for a period of nearly two years. At last Antioch directors de cided to establish two schools in the district, both to be sup ported by taxation. One was to be in the southern part of the district to accomodate settlers in the Table Rock vi cinity. Miss Lou Houston, who later became Mrs. Jasper Rog ers of Medford, taught the first school under the new dis pensation in 1874. It was a spring term and school' was held in a small house built on the Jim Collins farm. S. M. Nealon afterward bought the farm and the first public school in the present Table Rock s district stood near the twin oaks on or near the site occupied by the residence of C. W. Sage. Collins had built the house first as a residence for his mother. It was of rough lum ber, about 16 by 20, and un painted both inside and out. A typical pioneer schoolhouse, it was furnished and equipped according to primitive meth od in vogue in those good old days. Enrolled 13 Pupils Miss Houston enrolled 13 pupils, received S33Vfc a month, taught a three-month term and "boarded round." Jane Nichols taught the term in 1875; W. J. Stanley, 1876; Mary Berry, 1877; and O. W. Gregory, 1878. Population having in creased, the citizens became more independent and ex pressed a desire to manage their own school affairs. In March, 1879, Table Rock school district 44 was de tached by petition from An tioch district 18. Boundaries of the new dis trict were "Commencing at the southwest corner of Jacob Conley's land, thence running in a southeast direction along the base of Upper Table Rock, thence in the same direction to Donnegan ford on Rogue River, thence down along the north bank of said river to the southwest corner of W. W. Wilson's land, thence in a northeast direction along the base of Lower Table Rock, thence in a northeast direc tion, running west of the res idence of Dennis Donnegan to the place of beginning." Fountain Superintendent J. D. Fountain was super intendent of county schools at that time. E. P. Pickens, B. Vincent and J. W. O. Greg ory were directors and J. S. Marsh was clerk of the new district. At the first school election, 17 votes were cast. The census showed 32 children of school age and the treasury sweMed to $96 cash on hand. Maude Tuffs taught from April 21 to July 11 in 1879, the first spring term of the district. In 1880 H.H. Mitchell taught and afterward bevame county school superintendent, Receives $25 Per Term Maggie lipweii taught in 1881, receiving $25 .for the term. W. H. Gore taught from June to August in 1881 for $33.33 a month. He later be came a prominent farmer apd banker in Medford. M. Vina Gore taught in 1882 and Sarah Knowles in 1884. In 1885 Mary Newbury, sister of the late Gus New bury, Medford attorney, taught a private school during the fall and winter. 1 In 1885 Henry Cryder taught and in 1886, Amanda Goodyear. Jenny Oaks taught the first fall term in the dis trict's history in 1886. When fall term was added, six months of school was held each year. Two different teachers frequently taught in the district during the same year. Kj Fall Term Set Lottie Reed and Fanny Knowles taught in 1887; Miss Reed taught spring term in 1888 but no fall term was held that year due to an epi demic of malaria. March 25, 1889, a portion of Table Rock district was de tached by petition and added to district 52, the old Chapar ral district. At that time H. H. Mitchell, who formerly taught in the Table Rock district, was county superintendent. Rose Griffith taught the spring term and Charley Grif fith the fall term in 1889. An nie Harvey and Laura Col ton taught iri 1890. Teachers Board Around From the first term that John Burns taught in the old log cabin, and - for 20 years after that, teachers "boarded around." Beginning about 1890, the practice of having them board in some certain home in the district was es tablished. Ella Griffith,' who later married a Mr. Pattrick of Gold Hill taught in 1891, and Arthur Walker, now a resi dent of Portland, taught the spring term of 1892, and Lutie Burch the fall term. Miss Burch later became Mrs. Pat Daily, who served for several years as county school super intendent. In the spring of 1892, Fred Hansen deeded one acre of land to the school district for school purposes-. A new school house was built upon the tract by Mr. March. It was completed in the fall just in CORN REMOVER Gfvi bittant rlif from pain and poii. tnatf mw hard corns, loft bvtwMn K toi. callouiM. papillomas, dub noils. It contains rai different otts that soften. and dons not cousn ma 8riKjtiuw a do strong acid mixtures. Whan aB others kcv failed try this on Try ovr (union Rnlief. which relinn pain, sorenoss, swelling first or application, loth remedta told ON DEEDED LAND - In 1892, Fred Hansen ing was completed in time to hold the corn deeded one acre of land to the district for munity Christmas tree program in it that school purposes, and the above building year, was constructed by Mr. March. The build- time to hold the Community Christmas tree program in it. Teach in New School Emma Ruth taught the first spring term in the new school house in 1893. and Armenta Burch taught a private school in the new schol house during the fall and winter. John Potter taught a spring term in 1894, and L. A. Sim ons, now a resident of Yam hill county, and Anna dem ons, taught during the fall and winter of 1895. Libby Pendleton taught a spring term in 1896. She was a sister of the late J. G. Pen dleton and is now Mrs. Holmes of Standish, Calif. During the fall and winter of 1896, a Miss Cotter of Cal ifornia taught a private school in the new schoorhouse. Ow ing to the small attendance and lack of interest in such schools, they were discontin ued in the future. In 1897, Libby Pendleton and Maude Downing taught the spring and fall terms. Miss Downing later became Mrs. Joe Boswell, formerly of Cen tral Point. , Spring, Fall Terms Maude Downing and Olive spring and fall of 1898. Miss Gregory afterwards married George Yeo, an insurance man of Ashland. In 1899, Nellie ,Town and Lizzie Ferguson taught during the spring and fall. Miss Town married a farmer and Miss Ferguson, now a Medford, is the first teacher whose name appears on the systemized rec ord in the county superintend ent's office. Beginning with the school year 1899 and 1900, the rec ords began to be systemized, and from time to time, have been improved. Teachers at the school in cluded: 1899, Lizzie Ferguson, Medford; 1900, Mae Sutton, Wick Easter and Stella Stid ham, who later became Mrs. Jay Purkeypile, now residing in British Columbia; 1901, Dolly "Badger and Mae Mcln tyre, who is now Mrs. Wycoff of Walsenburg, Colo.; 1902, Flora Smith, now Mrs. J. Laurens, Medford; 1903, Flos sie Briscoe and H. B. Leach; 1904, Ida Stewart and Lorena Shuck. In 1905-06, V. A. Davis; 1906- 07, Myrtle Corum, a sis ter of Mrs. Victor Bursell; 1907- 08, Alice French, now Mrs. Amos Willetts; 1908-09, Cy Watkins and Miss Louise Ward, who became Mrs. Stew- Veterans Memorials One for each branch of the Armed Forces soon to be dedicated in honor of those who have served. Arf .wc: .W'- wt2-.yv FIRST SCHOOL - The first school in the Table Rock district was held in this log cabin. J. A. Burns taught a. three months term subscription in the cabin in the spring of 1870. The cabin stood at the site of Mrs. Schafer's present residence. art Porter, a prominent farm er in the county and also one of the school directors in the Independence' district; and 1909 through 1912, V. A. Da vis. Old Building Replaced The march of progress de creed that the old building should be replaced. Accord ingly, during the summer va cation, the present building was built upon the site of the old one, erected in 1892. Da vis taught the first school held in the present building. Other teachers: 1912-14, Gladys Miller, whp became Mrs. Henry Payne of Harbor, Curry county; 1914-15, C. E. Johnson, now n Douglas county; 1915-17, Hattie B. Lester, who married Stanley Lydiard, a farmer and or chardist; 1917, Josephine Kin caid, now Mrs. Mayfield, Red mond; 1917-18, Eva Beebe, now Mrs. Floyd McKee; 1918 19, Helen Parker, now Mrs. Brophy; and 1919-20, Verda Lynch, now Mrs. Carl Quack enbush. Teachers between 1920 and 1933 included June Dunlap, now teaching in Portland; Mae Johnson, Mrs. Voorheis and Mrs. Burdeen Meyers; Irene Franks, now Mrs. Blaine F lirley, Medford; Mrs, Ina Purcell, now teaching in the Applegate; Miss Mary Martha Sweney, Miss Betty Brown, Nellie Egan, Elizabeth Brown, V. A. Davis, Miss Winifred May, and Roy Parr. Officially Organized When the district was offi cially organized, 54 years ago, it maintained but three months school during the , M My Bill Driscoll, manager North Phoenix Road Phone SP 3-6162 or SP 2-711 1 . -tews -wftfsj Lf&j3 $ i year, employed one teacher, enrolled 32 census children, and had $96 in the treasury. Today, nine months school are maintained, two teachers are employed, 74 census children are enrolled, and the assessed valuation of its property is rated at $280,767.80. The district's present offi cial organization consists of Frank Hensley, Sam Newman and Floyd Hamlin, directors, and Mrs. Mary B. Myers, clerk. The teaching staff con sists of Roy Parr, principal, and teacher of the upper grades, and Miss Winnifred May, assistant principal and teacher of the lower grades. The school ranks high in ef ficiency and scholarship and bids fair to rise to greater heights in the future. Student Officers Named at Gold Hill Gold Hill - Student body officers for Hanby school were elected recently. They are Bob Turner, president; Bar bara Schatz, vice president; Loraine Hixson, secretary; and Penny Flenner, treasur er. All are seventh graders. Yell leaders named are Su san Post, Ronda Rosecrans, and Darlene White, all fifth graders. . Toni Morrow, who is now in the seventh grade, was elected queen for the varsity yell leaders. Others elected are Judie Post, seventh grade; and Pamella Freeman and Linda Walker, sixth graders. 1