Image provided by: Morrow County Museum; Heppner, OR
About Heppner gazette-times. (Heppner, Or.) 1925-current | View Entire Issue (March 1, 1951)
$3.00 Per Year; Single Copies 10c
Heppner, Oregon, Thursday, March 1, 1951
Volume 67, Number 50
In Th e
By REP. GILES FRENCH
Salary bills for all of the four
counties in the 22nd representa
tive district have passed the
house and are in the senate
where some of them have al
ready been approved. There is a
wider difference between salar
ies allowed by budget commit
tees and county courts this year
than before. Earl Fisher of Wash,
jngton county, chairman of the
local government committee, it
very particular that the budget
committee recommendations ac
company the bill when it goes to
his committee. He considers bills
with the recommendations and
Usually sheriffs, clerks and as
sessors receive the same salary.
In Sherman the salary for these
officials is $3200 per year. In
Wheeler it is $3480, in Gilliam
$3600 and in Morrow $4200 (In
Morrow the assessor will get
$3600 following budget recom
mendations.) There is more ariation in
judges' salaries. Burns of Gilliam
sticks to his $1500, Howard of
Wheeler and Tom of Sherman,
will get $1800 and Barratt of Mor
row (largest county) will get
$4200. Treasurers get half the pay
of other officers when holding
half time jobs.
Economy took some telling
blows in the last week as higher
education held stubbornly to its
demands for more money, con
verts to expensive notions talked
of the "absolute necessity" of
building some buildings and oth
ers began to say that maybe we
should provide for this or that
Any of these mean property taxes
under the present system. But
there are many more people ask
ing for something than there are
asking for economy. That means
that there should be a taxpayers
association in Oregon.
The house approved a resolu
tion last week that if passed by
the senate and the people would
prevent the state from levying a
property tax for state purposes.
At the same time it passed a bill
putting income taxes into the
general fund after July 1. The
passage of the bill makes it more
than ever necessary that the res
olution be passed. If finally ap
proved the state will have taken
a long step toward simplification
of its tax system.
Another tax bill still pending
is HB 131 which would make
utilities pay an excise tax. Since
1940 they have contributed noth
ing to the state in the way of
taxes. They are trying to prove
that their local property taxes
are so high they should pay no
other taxes a contention not
found entirely accurate at the
present state of investigation by
the house tax committee. Taxes
in other states are in many cases
higher on the utilities than in Or
egon. So far it seems that the taxa
tion committees will get much
deeper into the state's tax sys
tem than for several sessions.
Some hitherto hidden exemptions
may get a good airing and the
possessors thereof a chance
prove their case.
Yet another tax bill proposed
by the state tax commission
would remove the exemption of
processors who may now keep
their product until May 1 before
being liable for assessment for
property taxes. ThuB the fight
for exemption from the duty of
paying for government goes on
and on with the well organized
successful and the unorganized
paying the taxes and this with
out regar'd to ability to pay.
The bill to divide up highway
funds among the counties on a
basis more comprehensive than
by number of cars is getting
more attention than usual and
something may be worked out of
advantage to counties. Now there
are several counties that obtain
all of their road funds from the
state and never levy a tax for
roads. These are populous coun
ties with few rural roads. Large
counties receive little per mile of
road. A division on the basis used
by the federal government, or
that used by the state highway
commission in dividing funds
between districts, or even by giv
ing a sum to all counties before
division would help rural Oreg
Wild Life Meeting
A group of Morrow County
Hunters & Anglers club members
drove to Pendleton Tuesday eve
ning and participated in a meet
ing sponsored by the recreation
al division of the Wild Life as
sociation of Umatilla county.
Featured speaker was Delbert
Gildersleeve of Baker, chairman
of the Oregon State Game com
mission. Many fish and game problems
were discussed and the group
passed a majority vote approval
of Senate Bill 123 and forwarded
the results to Salem.
Atttending from Heppner were
Dr. L. D. Tibbies, president of the
local club; Floyd Tolleson, Glenn
Parsons, Jack Bailey, Paul Jones,
Len Gilliam and Mr. and Mrs.
Chosen By Parents'
Band Club Group
At their meeting Monday eve
ning the band parents named
themselves- the Heppner Band
Present was Bill Barratt, of the
Heppner Jay Cees, who asked the
group to help facilitate the ap
pearance of the OSC band here
on March 18 by finding overnight
housing for the players in homes
throughout town. One night's
lodging with breakfast the fok
lowing morning will be needed.
But inasmuch as the Jay Cees are
bringing in the band on a non
profit basis, no compensation for
room and meals can be offered.
Anyone wishing to help in this
manner with the success of this
piece of fine entertainment may
contact either Mrs. Bill Davis,
phone 1065, or Mrs. Cal Sumner,
Mr. Collins, H.H.S. bandmaster,
presented both his beginners
and advanced bands to the as
sembled members of the club.
Grouping the beginners by in
struments, two selections were
played by each of five groups. A
quartet composed of Linda Bor
man, clarinet; Jimmy Smith,
clarinet; Edith Morris, oboe, and
Jimmy Hayes, bassoon, and "The
Memories of Stephen Foster," as
arranged by H. D. Holmes, by all
members of the advanced classes
rounded out the evening. The en
tertainment gave a practical idea
of the band at work and the per
formances were excellent.
The second Tuesday of each
month was set as the regular
meeting date for the Band Boost
ers. It will be appreciated if those
having rooms available as stated
will register them by that date.
E. Oregon Counties
benator Richard Neuberger has
introduced a bill, Senate Bill No.
257, calling for consolidation of
several eastern Orgon counties
into one big unit. He would take
Sherman, Wheeler, Gilliam, Mor
row and Umatilla and put them
into Umatilla county with Pen
dleton as the county seat.
Those who have seen a copy
of the bill are some what puzzled
inasmuch as there has been no
agitation for such a move. The
grouping would be absurd from
the standpoint of economy, to
the geographical set-up, it is
pointed out. Such groupings us
ually are planned from a stand
point of centralizing the county
seat, but in this instance it looks
like the author of the bill went
out of his way to make an im
There is little likelihood that
the bill will receive favorable
consideration. In the opinion of
some who have looked into the
proposal a little it looks like an
effort on Neuberger's part to take
a stab at Giles Franch for his
new reapportionment bill, espec
lolly in light of the fact that
French is winning support for his
measure in both houses.
Many 4-H'ers have been asking
about the 4-H Club news printed
last week. The first paragraph of
each of the two news articles
were omitted when printed. The
first paragraph should have read
"Newest 4-H leader is Gene Ma
Jeski, Lexington, who is now
leading the Junior Stockmen'
Livestock Club. This club has
been led the past two years by
Vernon Munkers, Lexington.
The paragraph omitted on the
next article was "Peggy Wight
man, 14 years old, a member of
the Junior Stockmen's club of
Red Cross Drive
For Funds Opens
Jack Bailey Heads
Everything is in readiness for
the opening of the annual Red
Cross membership drive Satur
day morning, Jack Bailey, coun
ty chairman, announced today.
Committees for the several dist
ricts of the county have been
chosen and it is expected that all
will take the field early in order
to complete the task by the end
of March, if not earlier.
Bailey pointed out that since
we are in a war the Red Cross has
had to extend its operations to a
more or less global scale. This
means that no ordinary budget
will meet the requirements and
he urges that every family be
included in the county chapter's
membership. It should be re
membered that less than half
of the funds raised here go to
the national society. The coun
ty's share will be 53 percent of
the money subscribed. This gives
a fund for any local disaster or
emergency that might otherwise
have to be raised by subscription,
thus eliminating delay in getting
"We should not only enroll ev
ery family, but every member of
every family in the 1951 cam
paign," Bailey said.
Committee chairman have
been named in the following dis
tricts: Heppner residential, Mrs. L. E.
Dick; Heppner business, Merle
Willow Creek-Balm Fork,
Hinton Creek, Mrs. W. F. Bar
Sand Hollow, Mrs. Sam Turner.
Lena-Pine City, Mrs. W. E.
Upper Rhea Creek, Mrs. Floyd
Ruggs, Mrs. Harold Wright.
Hardman, Mrs. Marie Lesley.
Eight Mile, Mrs. Ben Anderson.
Blackhorse, Mrs. Harry Duvall.
Mrs. Paul Brown.
Clark's Canyon, Mrs. Lester
Lexington, Mrs. Betty Groves,
lone, Mrs. Donald Heliker.
Gooseberry, Mrs. Francis Carl
Cecil, Mrs. Herbert Hynd.
Boardman, Mrs. Florence Root.
Irrigon, Mrs. J. L. Cooley.
Anyone desiring to mail con
tributions may send them either
to Willard A. Blake, treasurer or ,
Jack E. Bailey, 1951 fund Chair- ,
man, both at Heppner.
EASTER SEAL LETTERS
MAILED IN OREGON
An estimated 500,000 Easter
Seal letters, approximately 70,-1
000 more than last year, were
mailed throughout Oregon by the
Oregon Society for crippled chil
dren and Adults, Mrs. William B.
Chandlee of Hillsboro, the Socie
ty's women's activities chairman
The letters were placed in the
mail February 25 and the Easter
Seal sale will continue through
March 25, Easter Sunday.
More than 100 men's and worn-
ens organizations throughout
the state assisted in the address
ing and stuffing program, which
began several weeks ago under
Mrs. Chandlee's direction. The
letters were mailed locally in
each county and returns will be
mailed to each local county trea
surer. Proceeds from the Easter Seal
sale finance the various projects
of the Society in Oregon, includ
ing the children's hospital school
in Eugene, the Craft Shop of the
Handicapped in Portland,, sum
mer recreation camps for crippl
ed children and medical and sur
gical care for individual cases.
Edgar W. Smith, president of
the Portland Chamber of Com
merce, is state chairman of the
Easter Seal sale.
Heppner and Lexington commun
ities, has received a scholarship
to the 1951 4-H summer school
at Oregon State college. County
Agent Anderson announces that
this is the Safeway Stores award
for the top livestock breeding
project in the county. Similar
awards were made in 27 counties
to 21 boys and eight girls.
Landscaping Next Order of Business
Nothing startling has happen-
ed at the Pioneer Memorial hos-
pital to cause the showing of this
picture. It is being run for a def-
inite cause-to make you, gent e
reader, look to see what this is
11 b t
a The "story is that the landscan-
The story is that he landscap
ing of the hospital grounds
should be nnisnea tnis year
rieht now, in. fact. It would be
done except that there are no
All Saints Episcopal
Be Raised to Parish
Whatever the weather may be
Sunday, March 4, the day will be
bright for the members of the
congregation of All Saints Mem
orial Episcopal church of Hepp
ner. That is the date chosen by
the Rt. Rev. Lane W. Barton, bis
hop of the Missionary District of
Eastern Oregon, to receive the
petition from the congregation
asking that the mission be rais
ed to parish status.
This means that the local
church will assume all its finan
cial obligations and become en
tirely self supporting.
Bishop Barton will arrive in
Heppner-'atorday afternoon and
remain until Sunday afternoon,
He will preach at the 11 o'clock
service and be present for the
All Saints church was first es
tablished in the 1870's, when
Bishop B. Wistar Morris, D. D.,
held services once or twice a
month. Services were held in dif-
ferent places until completion of
the first church building around
the turn of the century. This was
located on the east side of Chase
street about opposite the Mor-
row County Creamery building.
It was washed awav in the flood
of June 14, 1903. When the Rev.
John Warren took charge of the
work here in April 1904, he im-
mediatolv spt ahnnt tr raisp
funds for a new church home, j ber 1934 to October 31, 1938. The
Rcisponse was generous and land ' church was again without a cler
was purchased at the corner of gyman until April 30, 1943, when
Gale and Church streets where a
church building was erected.
, This has since been enlarged to
include a parish hall. Through
the efforts of the Rev. Neville
Blunt, and carried on after his
departure by Rev. Elvon L. Tull,
the church property has been
Unites Couple at
lone Sunday P. M.
'Miss Dolores Ann Drake,
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cleo
Drake, became the bride of Wil
liam A. Rowell, son of Mrs. Lela
Young of Lone Rock and Arthur
Rowell, at a candlelighted cere
mony at the Cooperative church
in lone Sunday at 4:00 p. m. Rev.
A. Shirley, pastdr, officiated. The
bride, given in marriage by her
father, wore a white taffeta dress
with a pearl trimmed yoke and a
finger-tip veil held in place by a
coronet of seed pearls. She car
ried a white Bible with an orchid.
Mrs. Martin Jannsen was mat
ron of honor. She wore a yellow
taffeta dress and carried a nose
gay of yellow carnations. Gay
lord Salter was best man and the
ushers were Robert Drake and
Martin Jannsen. Miss Jane See
hafer and Miss Wilma Dalzell
lighted the candles. They wore
blue dresses. Mrs. E. Markham
Baker played the wedding music
and accompanied Frank Ellis
who sang "I Love You Truly" and
The mother of the bride wore
grey with pink accessories. The
was decorated with yel-
low daffodils, acacia, and blue
-:'' '-fc'.;.-;.-.v.eH'-0:.-"v-':-.:r r- .
more construction funds and the
C0Unty has no other funds that
can be rightfuiiy converted to
thi se Therefore, on its
own fnittive, the Gazette Times
. . .. .
offering th suggestion that we
Pf "T? thB ff
pose of raislng a few nundred
dollars. After all, it is our hospi-
iai. we au tmppcu in io raise
the funds to have it built. The
court has gone as far as it can
greatly improved. Two oil furn
aces heat the buildings; the in
terior of the church has been re
modeled, new pews and a Ham
mond organ installed. The
church building was given a new
roof in 1949.
The first baptismal entry in
the church register was dated
June 25, 1889, when the Rt. Rev.
B. Wistar Morris performed the
rites for the William Hughes
family. Baptisms by the Rev. W.
E. Potwine extended from Sept.
23, 1890 to April 10 1904. The
first confirmation was on April
8, 1891, by Bishop Morris.
Rev. Potwine served the con
gregation from August 25, 1882
until April 4, 1904. He died' in
Santa Rosa, Calif. August 23,
Rev. John Warren served from
April 11, 1904 to May 31, 1906.
The church was without a res
ident clergyman from 1906 until
the coming1 of the Rev. Stanley
B. Moore August 12, 1926, who
left Heppner September 30, 1931.
J The Venerable Sidney Creasey,
archdeacon, was in charge from
September 1931 to September
I M. G. Tennvson. general mis-
! sionary, October 1932, September
i The Ven. Ralph O. Hinkle.
Arehdearnn. in rhartrp Sontom.
the Rev. Neville Blunt assumed
charge and remained until Aug
ust 30, 1948.
The present . vicar, The Rev.
Elvon L. Tull, came in October,
1948 and he has directed his ef
forts towards making All Saints
A reception followed the wed
ding, in the church basement.
After the bride and groom cut the
first piece of the three tiered Mr. and Mrs. Verner Troed
wedriinc rake, it was KPrvort hv son, in company with Mr. and
Mrs. E. R. Lundell, grandmother
of the bride. Mrs. A. C. Crowell,
grandmother of the groom, pour
ed. They were assisted by Miss
Mary Jepsen and Miss Shirley
McCabe. Miss Elise Bauernfeind
presided at the punch bowl, Miss
Lteia i,nin ana miss vvuaa uaiz-
ell had charge of the gift table
and Miss Ingrid Hermann, the
guest book. Others assisting ab
out the room were Mrs. Victor
Rietmann, Mrs. Omar Rietmann
and Mrs. Noel Dobyns.
The bride's going-away suit
was grey with green accessories.
After a short honeymoon, the
young couple will live in lone.
Relatives attending the wed
ding from out of town were Pvt.
Robert Drake of Fort Lewis, Wn
Sgt. Eldon Tucker of Portland,
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Drake of Hepp
ner, Mr. and Mrs. Lester Baker
and daughter Esther Mae of
Walla Walla; Mrs. Sam Ledbet
ter, Mr. and Mrs. Clayton Ledbet
ter and Mrs. Ethel Garinger of
Hood River, Mr. and Mrs. Clar
ence Shuler and Mr. and Mrs. A.
T. Merrill of Hermiston,
without calling for a larger bud-
get lit will not cost any of us
more than a few dollars each to
Bf trees and shrubbery
P.,anted and Sround,s beauti-
fied as hospital grounds should
Now listen! Don't send any
Ti esJ w ha 0 ty treas.
urer who is ready to receive your
donations. But start the dollars
rolling in right away.
Many Friends Pay
Respects to The
Mr. and Mrs1. John Troedson
were honored Sunday afternoon
upon the occasion of their 50th
wedding anniversary. Some 150
friends and relatives called at the
beautiful country, home of Mr.
and Mrs. Verner Troedson during
the hours from 1 to 4 in the af
ternoon. Other hosts were Mr.
and Mrs. Howard Nottage of
Portland, Mr. and Mrs. Francis
Troedson of Hermiston and Carl
Troedson of lone.
The spacious rooms were en
hanced with bouquets of spring
flowers and daffodils and acacia
centered the coffee table. A beau
tiful three tiered wedding cake
!was cut b? Mrs Milton Morgan,
The cake was decorated with
gold roses and was topped with a
golden bell amid a bower of gold
leaves. Mrs. Franklin Lindstrom
poured. Mrs. Kathryn Rice assist
ed about the rooms, and Mrs.
Tad Miller was in charge of the
guest book. A steady stream of
guests came and went during the
i reception hours. The weather
man smiled upon these fine peo
ple and sent them a beautiful
Mr. and Mrs. Troedson were
residents of the Ella district
where they sett,ed on. a home
stead. There they lived until
1943 when they moved into lone,
where they now live.
Mr. and Mrs. Troedson's
daughter, Mrs. Howard Nottage
and her husband of Portland, and
their yunSest son Francis Troed-
son and his wife of Hermiston:
Mrs. Troedson's brother and wife,
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Nelson of San
Jose, California, and Mr. and Mrs.
J. A. Troedson of Heppner, broth
er, were present for the happy
Mr. Troedson is a native of
Greuie, Sweden and Mrs. Troed
i son was born in Forslonholm,
Sweden. He came to the United
States in 1896 and she a year lat
er. They were married in San
Francisco on February 23, 1901
Mrs. Emil Groshen have but re
cently returned from an extended
trip to Europe that they might
open their home in commemorat
ing this notable milestone in the
lives of the senior Troedsons.
Many frie"ds from a11 over the
. unty ana surrounding areas
AT PIONEER MEMORIAL
A 7 pound 15 1-2 ounce boy was
born at 8:17 p. m. Saturday, Feb
ruary 24 to Mr. and Mrs. Don Ev
ans. Jack Farris, lone and Mrs. Na
dine O'Brien, Heppner, are new
patients admitted to the hospi
Mrs. Floyd Robertson of Cecil
is a medical patient.
Mns. Minnie Ely of lone was
dismissed from the hospital
Thursday after receiving medical
Most of our moving is done in
and on wood. Wooden boxcars
and wooden railroad ties carry
people, food, clothing and mach
inery all elements which bind
the nation together.
New Womens Dress
Shop Opens Doors
To Public Friday
Van Horn Building
Remodeled For Two
Heppner's shopping facilities
will be expanded tomorrow with
the opening of the Mode O' Day
women's dress shop. Located in
the Van Horn building, it will
occupy the south half of the room
for so many years known as th"
location of the Red & White gr -
Workmen from the McCorrnic'.
Construction company began the
work the latter part of last week
running partitions to make two
store rooms, one to be occupied
by the Mode O' Day and the oth
er by Mary Van's Flower Shop.
Since the dress shop was sched-
ulde to open by March 2 the
main effort has been directed to
ward completing that job and a
good example of streamlined re
modeling has been offered the
public. Partitions were put in and
the ceiling lowered as the first
part of the job and this has been
followed by installation of light
ing fixtures, painting, building
shelves and doing the countless
other chores that go to make a
finished job. .
Owner and manager of the
store will be Mrs. Fred Dexter,
formerly of Madras. Mrs. Dexter
has moved here and will be
joined later by her husband. She
is well pleased with the location
and knows the public will be
pleased with her modern shop.
Mrs. Mary Stephens, proprie
tor of Mary Van's Flower Shop,
announced that she plans to open
up in her new quarters on March
17. That will give ample time
to do the finishing work and for
moving from her present loca
tion in the Hotel Heppner.
Both stores will have ample
storage at the rear of their sales
rooms, since there is room in the
i main building and a warehouse
at the rear.
Work on Court St.
Dennis & Sons, contractors on
the North Court street project,
put a crew to work Wednesday
morning removing the surfacing
and grading down to the estab
lished curb line. A big carrier
has been depositing the surfac
ing in different spots around
town as a means of disposing of
The grading will extend from
the corner of the Court Street
Market to the northeast corner
of the school property. Drainage
pipe will be laid to carry off
run-off water from the hillside,
and curbing will be put in on
both sides of the street
MISS JESSALEE MALLALIEU
Home Economics Extension
Oregon State College
Miss Jessalee Mallalieu, recre
ation specialist, Oregon State
college, will conduct a trainer
meeting at 8 p. m. Monday, Mar.
5 at the American Legion hall in
lone. She will give advance in
struction for square dance call
ing. Each organization in the
county may be represented by
leaders at this meeting.
Nelson Anderson Sr. departed
Tuesday for his home in North
Dakota after visiting several
weeks at the home of his son and
family, the Nelson Andersons of
Mrs. B. C. Forsythe of Cascade
Locks spent several days here
this week visiting children and
grandchildren and attending to
on keep up Its roads.