Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About Portland observer. (Portland, Or.) 1970-current | View This Issue
October 14, 2015
Dark Delicious Cornbread
p aul a. n eufeldt
This frightfully delicious cornbread recipe is just in time for
serving up on Halloween.
NOTE: I use a flour mill to
• 1 cup blue (or black) cornmeal make my own black cornmeal.
You can buy blue cornmeal at
• 1 cup brown rice flour
Bob’s Red Mill or one of the
• 1⁄4 cup honey
stores (such as New Seasons)
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
that distributes their prod-
• 1 teaspoon salt
ucts. To double recipe, use a
• 1⁄3 cup oil
greased 13” by 9” baking pan.
• 1 1/2 cups almond milk
• 1/4 cup black sesame powder
• 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds (use a coffee or spice grinder)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease a 8x8 baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate.
3. Combine all ingredients; pour into prepared dish.
4. Sprinkle black sesame powder on top. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Let cool slightly before cutting.
p aul a. n eufeldt
• 1 1⁄4 cups blue cornmeal
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups almond milk
1 lb ground turkey
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup chopped red onion
1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup cream-style corn
1⁄2 cup sliced black olives, drained
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. For crust, combine the cornmeal, salt,
and almond milk in a small saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring
frequently for 5 to 7 minutes or until
3. Remove 1/2 cup, cover with plastic
4. Spread the remaining cornmeal mixture
on bottom and sides of greased 8-inch
square baking dish.
5. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes if necessary.
6. Bake in preheated 425-degree oven for
Remove from heat.
7. For filling, brown turkey, garlic, onion
and bell pepper in large skillet; drain.
8. Add corn, olives, tomato sauce, chili
powder, salt and pepper.
9. Mix well.
10. Spoon into cornmeal crust.
11. Drop rounded teaspoons of remaining
cornmeal mixture on top of meat, sprinkle
12. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.