Image provided by: Crook County Historical Society/Bowman Museum; Prineville, OR
About Crook County journal. (Prineville, Or.) 189?-1921 | View This Issue
CROOK COUNTY JOURNAL'S ANNUAL NUMBER.
from twelve to fifteen miles in width and
as much as eighty miles in length.
These mountains spoken of comprise the
timber of Crook County. Our timber is
mostly pine of a superior quality. We have
fir, hemlock and tamarack, also of a very
superior quality, but not so abundant as
the pine. We use our fir for plow beams,
wagon tongues, axles, etc., and find it equal
to the best oak, as used in our wagons of
Eastern manufacture. Our timber lands,
above mentioned, will yield from 5,000 to
50,000 feet of good merchantable lumber
to the acre. The area of all our timber
lands in Crook County (exclusive of govern
ment reserve) amounts to about 691,000
acres, which will average 10,000 feet of
lumber to the acre aggregating 6,706,000,
But little of this timber is owned or
claimed by individuals, and but a small por
tion comparatively, by the W. V. and Cas
cade Mountain Wagon Road Company. This
large area of timber land is watered suffi
ciently for running steam mills to manu
facture it into lumber, and in many places
there are streams sufficiently large to fur
nish water power. One canal brought from
the waters of the Tomalow is thirty feet
wide on bottom, and the banks are capa
ble of carrying four feet depth of water,
and for twelve miles passes through a beau
tiful and continuous body of pine timber of
first quality, all, or nearly all, of suflcient
size for saw logs, with easy slopes from
each side down hill to this canal or ditch;
and the lumber manufactured can be
floated to the crossing of the Deschutes
river on the line of a present railway survey.
Among the native sons of Oregon, Arthur
Hodges is probably the best and most fa
vorably known in this section of the state.
He was born in Benton County, March
14th, 1865, and crossed the Cascade moun
tains into Eastern Oregon wiJi his parents
in 1871. He received his early education
in the Oregon Agricultural College at Cor
vallis and Columbia College, Portland,
graduating from the latter institution in
1883. Upon his return to Crook County he
taught school until 1886, when he was ap
pointed deputy county clerk, which posi
tion he held until 1890. In 1890 he was elect
ed county clerk as a Democrat, and suc
ceeded himself four consecutive terms, the
last time, in 1898, being elected as a gold
Democrat, and he was the only county offi
cer elected on that ticket in the state. In
1900, being unable to reconcile his political
principles with the Bryan party, he affil
iated with the Republicans. Mr. Hodges'
long and faithful services as a clerk has
won for him, among the members of the
bench and bar, the designation of the
most competent officer in the state. He
was mayor of Prineville in 1889 and again
in 1900. Mr. Hodges was married to Miss
Stella Gesner, daughter of Hon. Alonzo
Gesner, of Salem, January 17th, 1900. In
August, 1900, he became a member of the
large mercantile firm of Wurzweiler &
Thomson. In both social and business
circles his name is a synonymn of honesty
and uprightness of character.
TEMPLETON & SON.
The accompanying illustration is the in
terior of Templeton & Son's store, the
pioneer drug firm of Crook County. The
senior member of the firm is D. E. Temple
ton, a sketch of whose life appears else
where in this issue. J. H. Templeton, the
junior member of the firm, was born in
Linn County, December 31st, 1865, and re
moved with his parents to Crook County
in 1870, when the present site of Prineville
was a part of the public domain. In 1887
they opened their present store under the
management of the junior member of the
firm, and have built up a fine trade and
carry a large and well selected stock. Mr.
J. H. Templeton is the prescription clerk.
This firm also carries a complete line of
kodaks, cameras and photographer's supplies.
What is destined to be an important
factor in the development of Crook county,
so far as the same relates to manufactur
ing and transportation facilities, is Cline
Falls, on the Deschutes river, so known for
the reason that they are situated on the
land of Dr. C. A. Cline. This wonderful
cataract rivals the famous Willamette
falls at Oregon City, flowing twenty-five per
cent more water annually. They have a
perpendicular height of 35 feet and furnish
an ideal source of power, as the river has
never been known to rise or fall to exceed
22 inches. This incomparable volume of
wasted energy is twenty miles west of
Prineville and discharges 3,000 cubic feet of
water per second.
HENDERSON & POLLARD.
There is no more popular resort in
Prineville than the Cary House Bar, con
ducted by J. W. Henderson and W. R. Pol
lard. These gentlemen enjoy the respect
of all their acquaintances, and cater to the
very best class of trade. Their place of
business is in the Prineville hotel, and they
carry the best brands of wines, liquors and
cigars, including the famous Cyrus Noble
whisky. Genteel treatment of their pat
rons, and furnishing the purest goods, has
made them general favorites, and they are
enjoying a lucrative trade.
ADAMSON & WINNEK CO.
This enterprising company was organized
in 1898, and succeeded the firm of Belknap
& Adamson in the general drug business.
Its officers aie D. P. Adamson, C. I. Win
nek and A. L. Winnek, and the high es
teem in which the company and its officers
are held is evidenced by the rapid and
constantly increasing trade enjoyed by the
company. They carry a full line of drugs,
paints, oils and window glass, toilet arti
cles, and stationery, besides departments
of musical instruments, books, toys, crock
ery and glassware, etc.
The prescription case is presided over
by the veteran pharmacist, B. F. Nichols,
whose thirty years experience is a safe
guard against mistakes.
This company enjoys an extensive trade,
covering a territory with a radius of more
than 50 miles, and does a wholesale busi
ness with all the country stores.
The stock carried and the business done
by this house would be a credit to a much
larger city. Adams & Winnek Co. is the
only house in Central Oregon carrying a
full line of school books and school supplies.
N.-X A ' v ' y6'
kw& iff IN x xriL