Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About The west shore. (Portland, Or.) 1875-1891 | View Entire Issue (July 1, 1885)
204 THE WEST SHORE. threshing was done in this manner: A layer of grain in the straw, of a foot or two in thickness, was placed on the floor. Oxen were then driven over it hitched to a log with row of woodn p" inserM & As the log revolved theA pegs acted well the part of a flail, and the straw was exjMxlitiously relieved of iU burden of grain. It was doubtless no hard job to winnow the grain after it wan threshed, aa the wind blows a stilt blunt at that point during the autumn months. The Russians also constructed a wharf at the northern side of the little cove and graded a road down the steep ocean shore, the line of which is still to be seen, as it passed much of the way through solid rock. This jetty was made fast to the rocks on which it was constructed with long iron lxilta, a few of which still remain, but notliing of the wharf is extant Those old Muscovites, iwrhaps, made the first lumber with a saw ever manufac tured north of the bay of San Francisco. They hail a pit and whip saw, tho former of which can be soon at this day. Judging from the number of stumps still standing, and the extent of territory over which thev oxtendod their logging operations, they evidently oonsumod very large quantities or timber, the forest being only about a mile disUnt from the shipyard and landing. The stumps of treee cut by thorn are still in view, while beside them from one to six shoots Lave sprung np, many of which have now reached a size sufficient for lumber nnrimana. This growth has been remarkable, and goes to bIiow that It proper care were takeu each half century would see a new crop of timber sufllcieutly lame for all tiractipjil nnr. jxmes, while a hundred years would produce gigantic trees. As stated above, the cemetery lay to the eastward of me ion and across a deep gulch, near the church for the peasant There wore nover more than fifty graves there, all traoea of which, exoept of a dozen, are now obliterated. Each of those still remaining shows signs of having had a wooden structure built over it One mannnr of n- alructing thoae tombs was to make a series of rectangular frames of square timber, each boinif a certain fl.,. smaller than the one below it, which were placed one alve another until an ajwx was reached, and the whole surmounted with a cross. Another method struct an oblong frame of heavy planking, the top being wivereu wuu iwo ueavy planks placed so as to be roof, shaiml Other wave had a simoln rml , - - -- -"" uu otliera, again, a cross ou which some mechanical skill was displayed, while one has a very large round post standing high above tho ueiijhborinii monument. TI.a - all buried in graves dug due east and west, with their neatu iu ma latter pmut While there are no inscrip tions now visible ju.lk'inu from their IRA hum f Al. pit couUiu the dust of little children. In an easterly iuu irum uio posi, waa an orchard, of which ouly a few applo and cherry treet remain, moas covered and gray with age, Let us now trace the cause that led to the departure of these iutrudera from the vernal U, ........ . . vouiuriua. ia iUUxl that the promulgation of the Monroe doctrine caused them to leave, but that is hardly the fact, for they remained seventeen years after this policy was announced. One thing, however, is evident that they did not depart nt the request or behest of either the Spanish or HexJcuu governments. It is almost certain that the Russians contemplated a permanent settlement at Fort Ross and Bodega. Of course, as soon as the Spanish authorities came to know of their permanent location, word was sent of the fact to Madrid. In due course of time a reply, came ordering the intruders to depart, to which peremp tory command their only answer was that the order had been forwarded to St Petersburg for the action of the Czar. Some time later, about 1816, a Russian ship-of-war anchored in the harbor of Yerba Buena, and to the commander the Spanish authorities complained of Kos- koff, but nothing came of ii In subsequent years the Mexican commandants organized several military expedi tions for the purpose of ousting the aliens, but no real step was ever taken. For more than a quarter of a cen tury they continued to hold undisturbed possession of the disputed territory, and prosecuted their farming, stock raising, hunting, trapping and shipbuilding enter prises; but whatever were the causes that led to it, there finally came a time when the Russian authorities decided to withdraw their colonies. They now made a proposi tion to the authorities at Monterey to dispose of their interests, including the title to the land, but inasmuch as the Mexicans had never recognized such right or title, they could not well become purchasers thereof. Appli cation was next made to General M. G. Vallejo, but on the same grounds he refused. They then applied to the late General John A. Sutter, and persuaded him that their title was good and could be maintained; bo, after making out a full inventory of the articles they had for disposal, including all the land lying between Cape Men docino and Point Reyes, and one league inltfnd, as well as cattle, farming and mechanical instruments, a schooner of 180 tons burthen, some arms, a four-pound brass field piece, etc, a price waa decided on. The amount paid by Sutter was $30,000 in cash, and he became, as he thought, the greatest landholder in California. The grants given by the Mexican Government seemed mere bagatelles when compared with this provincial possession. But,' alas for human hopes and aspirations! In reality he had paid an enormous price for a very paltry compensa tion of personal and chattel property. Orders were Bent to the settlers at Fort Rosa to repair at once to the haibor of Yerba" Buena, and there take passage in vessels bound for the northwest whaling grounds. The ships sent to convey them from the settle ment arrived at an early hour in the day, and the orders shown to the commandant, Rotscheff. The bells were im mediately caused to be rung in the chapel towers and the cannon discharged, the usual method of convoking the people for some speoial purpose. Everything was sus pended just there; the husbandman left his plow in the nalf-turned furrow and unloosed his oxen, never again to yoke them, leaving them to wander at will; the mechanics dropped hia planes and saws on the bench, leaving the