Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About The west shore. (Portland, Or.) 1875-1891 | View Entire Issue (June 1, 1884)
THE WEST SHOEE.
THE City of Seattle occupies a picturesque site on the
Hhoro of Elliott Iky, one of the most beautiful and
perfect hnrlors of Fuget Sound By her age, by her
commercial and industrial activity, at a season when
quietness, and even depression, is prevulent in the North
west, and by the confidence in her own future, which is
indicated by heavy inveHtraents of her capitalists in
industries and building improvements, in spite of the
"dull times" so enervating in less energetic communi
ties, this thriving city lias fairly earned the title of
"Queen City of the Sound,"
Keattlo is no fledgeling, springing up under the influ
ence of some railroad excitement; nor has she suddenly
lciiMsl into prominence as the county seat of Bome newly
(rental county, rising quickly from nothing to a certain
height, beyond which progression becomes scarcely per
ceptible. On the contrary, she is a city standing upon a
(inn foundation, having within herself all the elements of
a ixTinaiient and rapid growth, depending entirely upon
her own resources for prosiority, and attracting, by sheer
force of hor natural advantages, population and capital
from abroad. This in-dwelling strength and self-reliant
jmwer was manifested plainly during the dull times that
followed the failure of Jay Cooke Si Co. in 1873. Other
cities rolnpstnl into a torpid state as soon os work was
suscnded ukhi the railroad, from which they were only
awakened again by the shrill whistle of the construction
eiigino when staim was once more raised in the boilers.
Not ho with Seattle. All that time she went steadily on
working out her own salvation. The number and capa
city of her industries wore increased; she advanced
steadily in population and business; the market value of
real estate continued in the ascondant, and the assessed
and cash value of projierty of all kinds largely increased.
With uih innate vigor, it is not surprising when the
new era dawned upon the Northwest that Seattle should
take such n prominent rank in the line of progress.
A third of n century has passed since the settlements
were made which formed the nucleus about which the
present city ha. gathered. As much that is incorrect has
Ikhm, published m reference to the time and manner of
making these m.tial settlements, the following statement,
mgned by the survmng members of that pioneer band,
idlof whom ,aro honored and influential citizens, will be
cindered Mh unresting and authoritative-
Ur.,1-1 J M i u..ii . ' " r"rh Alltl Po inl N.I..-.1-. ..
tuniliMk ..'. uunn and a. A. Demur ul their
Vrhratr, , inU-IML Horn .ml t 1 n.
d. of UImi IU,. ud,. JTu 1-Dw"" " U. on the
mm, (o B-II-. pr, oorthwn WhM " nu" ' of r,mn,.rcUl
Muva II- Dr. l. 8. Mwu.M V... .
In October, 1852, H. L. Tester arrived from Portland, and claims war
duced to as to give him room for a claim, including the site for a sawmill a!"
first steam mill on the Bound. tt
May 23, 1858-Firet plat of Seattle was filed for record by C. D. Boren and A
A. Denny. Subsequently, on the same day, another plat was filed by Maraud.
In the winter of W2-8 J. J. Flott arrived, and after extensive explorati
built a mill at Apr' ma Cove. It was removed to Pprt Madison in 18M,
In the spring f i853 Captain William Benton eame to AIM and built a aJ3.
which was removed to Port Orchard early in 18.M.
In April, 1858, Thomas Mercer and Dexter Horton arrived, and Mercer setUad
where he now lives.
In December, 1852, A. A. and D. T. Denny discovered and explored Balm
Buy, previously unknown.
(Signed) HENRY VAN ASS ALT, DAVID T. DENNY
W.N. BELL, CD. BOREN, '
H. L. YE8LER, A. A. DEN2JY.
Interesting as it would be to' trace the history of
Seattle from this infant settlement through the changing
years to the sturdy city of to-day, that pleasant task must
be left to the historian, while we speak of topics possess
ing more than an antequarian interest The Seattle of
the present, in the vigor of her growth, and possessing a
knowledge of, and trust in, her illimitable resources, is &
subject of deeper interest to the busy world of commerce.
It is of this the capitalist, mechanic, merchant and manu
facturer would learn.
Strangers in Seattle always express a surorise that in
this region, apparently so new, where vast stretches of
country remain yet unclaimed, and where they have
traveled for miles without observing the evidences of
occupation, they should suddenly be ushered into a city
so populous and exhibiting such signs of great pros
perity. A brief Btudy of her industries and resources
invariably results in the feeling of surprise giving way to
one of enthusiasm and confidence in the bright future in
store for the Queen City.
The most strikine feature of the citv. and thn on
most indicative of its prosperity, is the great number of
large and handsome business blocks, brick structures,
that in size and ornamental annearance comnare favor.
ably with those to be found in much larger and older
cities. These, with the immense stocks of goods dis
played in the salesrooms, give the city a decidedly metro
politan air. A glance at our illustrations will show the
character of these buildings. wVii'Ia nnnn t,hn wwimrjanv-
ing view of the town can be seen what a large area they
cover, oome of these have but just been completed,
while work upon many others is still in progress. In
fact, it may be said that Seattle is exhibiting greater
buildin? indllRT.ru ilni-inn fV.a fit an nnv nthflT
city in the Pacific Northwest, Portland not excepted. . Not
only is a greater number of residences in process of
erection, but more and costlier business blocks and quasi
public buildings. Fully one thousand houses were
erected in 1883, at an aggregate expense of $700,000,
while $100,000 were expended upon water works, $150,000
upon coal bunkers, $250,000 upon, street and sidewalk
improvements. The Puget Sound National Bank build
ing, the most elegant on the Coast outside of San Fran
cisco, will cost $100,000 ntfid. The cost of
constructing the Yesler-Leary block, with" the large addi-
uuu oeing built, will be $120,000, and faJ,w
expended noon SchwaWli ,'MiW Eonallv expen-
sive buildings are now in course of construction-one