Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About Oregon daily emerald. (Eugene, Or.) 1920-2012 | View Entire Issue (Nov. 3, 1950)
►Memorials Honor Students, Friends
Seven rooms and three plaques
in the Student Union serve as re
minders of former University stu
dents who died in service of their
country, or of those persons who
forwarded the progress of Oregon.
Among these rooms are the
Frank L. Chambers Memorial
Board Room, Taylor Lounge, Sig
ma Phi Epsilon Room, the Peter
Benson Howard Memorial Music
Room, the Colver Waller Memorial
Committee Room, the Maurice
Harold Hunter Room, and the Ade
laide Church Memorial Room.
Parents, relatives, or friends ded
icated and financed these rooms.
Board Room . . .
The Frank L. Chambers Mem
orial Union Board Room on the
third floor, honors a Eugene busi
nessman who had a special interest
in the relationship of the Univer
Natural woods are used in the
window ledges and table tops. The
fireplace was presented by the
Classes of 1925 and 1945.
Honoring six members of the
local chapter of Sigma Phi Epsi
lon who were killed in action in
World War II, the Sigma Phi Epsi
lon Memorial Room is to be used
by the chairman of the Student
It is in memory of Hugh Oliver
Hoffman, Class of 1941; George
Riley Hogshire, 1930; A. Kendall
Lottridge, 1936; Norman Alfred
Nysteen, 1942; Burton Hodges Os
born Jr., 1943; and Ehle Hiram
The room is located on the third
floor with other student offices.
Music Room . . .
Peter Benson Howard, son of Dr.
and Mrs. Charles G, Howard, is
honored in the dedication of the
was killed in action near Anzio,
Italy, in 1044. He entered the Uni
versity in 1939 as a pre-medical
student, and in 1940 was called into
the National Guard. At Oregon, he
was affiliated with Kappa Sigma.
The committee room honoring
him is the largest of the student
meeting rooms on the third floor.
Finished in black and off-white, it
features blonde wood, black leather
chairs, and a motley floor with a
Committee Room ...
The office of the ASUO presi
dent on the third floor is a mem
orial to Maurice Harold Hunter,
the son of the former Chancellor
and Mrs. Frederick M. Hunter.
Maurice Hunter was killed in
action in 1945, and was awarded the
Army's bronze star posthumously.
A graduate of the Class of 1941,
he was a member of Beta Theta
—Courtesy The Oregonian
TAYLOR LOUNGE on the main floor provides students with a perfect setting for casual reading and
relaxation. Leather-upholstered* chairs and divans, modern lamps, and thick rugs are features of the
room. The canopied fireplace was presented by the Classes of ’25 and ’45.
sity to the business life of Eugene.
Chambers, who died in 1945 at
the age of 80, assisted in the de
velopment of Eugene and of the
University. He aided in raising
funds for the campus barracks,
Gerlinger Hall, the Warner Orien
tal Museum, and for Uie Browsing
Room and Burgess book collection.
A member of the Alumni Hold
ing Company from 1923, his in
terest in and service for a student
union never lagged.
The Board Room, behind dark
stained doors, is used by special
groups such as the Student Union
Board and the SU Special Affairs
An American Beauty rug is the
basis of the color saheme, carried
out in plaid overstuffed chairs,
oversized matching couch, and stri
The rectangular table, with oc
casional chairs, was especially de
signed for the room.
Dedicating the room are Edith
Kerns Chambers, Mary Chambers
Brockelbank, and Leslie Brockel
Taylor Lounge ...
Taylor Lounge, on the first floor,
is a memorial to Major Tom T.
Taylor, who was killed in action
over Europe in 1942. The room was
furnished by his mother and
father-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. George
Giustina, and their family.
Decorated in green, beige, or
ange, and cream, the lounge has
pile rugs and leather furniture.
music listening room on the north
section of the second floor. Dr.
Howard is professor of law at the
Peter Benson Howard died in
January, 1944, following an injury
received while in the service.
From early life he had shown an
interest in music, playing the vio
lin, clarinet, and piano. Among
honors he received at the Univer
sity was being chosen a member of
The Senior Six of Phi Beta Kappa.
He played in the band and orch
estra and was a member of Scab
bard and Blade.
President's Office ...
The son of Dr. and Mrs. Orville
Waller of Eugene, Colver Waller
Browsing Room ...
The Adelaide Church Memorial
Room on the second floor, has an
atmosphere gained by 13 years ex
Originally in the University Lib
rary, the present Browsing Room,
as it is more generally called, is
an exact replica of the old one, in
cluding the same furnishings and
The memorial library, dedicated
in 1937, is named in honor of the
daughter-in-law of Susan Church
Campbell, who was the wife of
Prince L. Campbell, president of
the University from 1902-1926.
Four- collections of books are in
cluded in the Browsing Room.
These are the Ethel R. Sawyer Col
lection, the Pauline Potter- Homer
Collection of Beautiful Books, the
ACME Collection of Miscellaneous
Gifts, and the House Collection
started toy the Inter-fraternity
Council in 1934.
Miss Bernice Rise, readers’ con
sultant for the Library, is also
Browsing Room librarian. From
1931 to June, 1950 she was head of
the circulation department, and
during most of that time also di
rected the Browsing Room.
Memorial Plaques ...
‘‘The Student Union is Dedicated
to all Students of the University
who at any time served in the
Armed Forces of the United
This inscription is seen on the
memorial plaque in the main ent
rance. The plaque was given by
Scabbard and Blade, the senior
class, and Inter-iraternny council
of 1943, in honor of students who
gave their lives in World War II.
A second plaque, located by the
east entrance, is ‘‘In lasting mem
ory of those who gave their lives
in World War I.”
The stairs to the basement are
a memorial to Arthur L. Gilleland,
1899, a student who gave his life
in the Spanish-American War.
All persons who made the Stu
dent Union possible through their
support, are honored by the in
scription at the top of the memor
ial stairs on the mezzanine:
“The University here makes
grateful recognition of all who gave
of their devotion and their sub
stance that this student union,
Twenty pounds of coffee are
used daily in the Student Union
kitchen for the 1,600-2,000 cups of
Kitchen Equipment Supplied
Best Wishes for a Successful Student Union
FREQ SHEARER & SONS
Lathing and Plastering