Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
About The Sumpter miner. (Sumpter, Or.) 1899-1905 | View Entire Issue (Jan. 23, 1901)
Wednesday, January 23, 101
THE SUMPTER MINER
SPANISH GULCH MINES
Have Been Worked for the Past
Situated In the southeast corner of
Wheeler county, In the Camp Watson
mountains, a spur of the Blue mountains,
are the Spanish gulch gold diggings, con
slsting of extensive placer and numerous
quartz veins, from which for the past
thirty five years gold has been taken,
which In the aggregate compares favor
ably with any similar area known. And
after so many years of successful mining,
the quartz propositions, especially, are
still In their infancy, and new discoveries
in placers are of very recent date. These
mines take their name from a discovery
made in 1862 by two Mexican or Spanish
packers, who worked out a "pocket"
found In a ledge that crosses the gulch In
the vicinity of the old trull. In the fall of
1864 a company was organized In Canyon
City to prospect on Rock creek and Its
tributaries. The moving spirit in the en
terprise was the late Dr. J. M. McCoy,
well and favorably known to the old
pioneers of Grant county, and for many
years a resident of East Portland. Find
ing nothing on the creek, they turned
their attention to the gulches and found
favorable prospects in Spanish gulch,
which led to the formation of a company,
with the doctor as manager, which sur
veyed out the first ditch and built the
same In 1865. This ditch is seven miles
long and was worked by the hydraulic
process, the company using a "distribut
ing chest," the most Improved method of
that day, which has long since given way
to the "giant." Other discoveries have
been made, another ditch was constructed
n 1871. It is five miles long, also from
Rock creek. Both of the above ditches
are owned by George V. Owens, Milt
Laswell, Mrs. John Erlckson and Mrs.
W. E. Waterman.
The third ditch brought to the gulch is
from Birch creek and was built by Dr. F.
C. Horsley In 1872, and Is known as the
Sho Fly ditch. It Is now owned by Geo.
V. Owens. There are two other mining
ditches, one from Rock creek, known as
the Sand Gulch ditch, owned by Joles &
Co., of The Dalles, six miles long; the
other is from Birch creek, also six miles In
length, owned by Judge Keeley & Co.
The best developed quartz claim Is the
Red Jacket, owned by F. S. Allen, An
drus & Co. We were shown four assays
from an average of the ore that ran $16,
$19, $22 and $24 respectively. The vein
is from five to seven feet in width.
The Kershaw brothers have a quartz
claim that bids fair to become a bonanza.
George Anderson has one of the best pros
pects in quartz there Is in this county.
The name of the claim is not known to
Judge Kelly and associates have a bond
and lease on the Blue Bucket and Mys
tery quartz claims, and have a one-stamp
mill to test the ore, and If it proves good,
will add more stamps in the spring. The
Blue Bucket and Mystery are owned by
Charles McCowan & Co.
Messrs. Owens and McCoy have two
claims on Jupiter mountain, Spanish
Gulch mining district, a recent discovery.
The vein is 125 feet in width and any of
the quartz shows from a trace to $3.50 in
gold on the surface. These claims are
known as the Noma and Marlon and are
deemed valuable propositions.
The best placer Is owned by Robert D.
Cannon and W. H. Johnson & Son. In
a ten weeks run last summer with four
men they cleaned up $9,800. The gold Is
coarse and of good quality. They took
out several nuggets of from $$0 to $100
and one piece of sixteen ounces, valued at
The next best placer, which Is more ex
tensive than Cannon & Johnson's claim,
is owned by Joles & Co., who last spring
took out a $300 nugget, which, however,
had considerable quartz attached to it.
Joles & Co. cleaned up $4000 during the
Billy Waterman & Co. cleaned up
12500 In a four or five weeks run.
The old Spanish gulch claims are
worked by Chinamen and it Is not known
how much they took out; but a conserva
tlve estimate places at $30,000 the total
amount taken from the SpanNh gulch
placers In the year 1000. Canyon City
Another Sale of the Golcondi Reported.
Another Associated press disprtch last
week announced that John T. English,
one of the two principal owners of the
Golconda mine on Cracker creek, left for
Chicago to close (lie papers transferring
that proporty to a Chicago syndicate, j
which will take Immediate possession of
the property. The consideration of the
transfer is placed at a half million dollars.
The names of the purchasers have not
been learned, but are supposed to be John
W. Gates, the iron and steel magnate,
and associates, whose expert, Captain J.
R. Woods, was In the Sumpter district
last year examining and reporting on a
number of properties. In April, 1000,
Captain Woods succeeded In practically
closing a deal Involving the E. & E.
mine, for a consideration said to he in six
figures; but at the eleventh hour some of
the St. Louis stockholders in the E. & E.
company raised the price and the deal
was declared off. -Baker City Herald.
Leuont in Lace.
Mrs. Marsh, next door to MINER ofti ce
will give practical instiuctions In lace
work. Materials and hundreds of pat
terns to select from
The Capital Hotel is again under the
management of Mrs. George B. Tedrowe,
which fact guarantees the best of service
to all patrons.
Scenic Line of the
Fuvonlo Transcontinental Route
between the Northwest and all Points
East. Choice of two routen thnnigh
and four routes east of Pueblo tiutl
All ms.-eiif,'ei grunted a day slo
over in the Mormon Capitol or any
where between Ogden and Denver.
Personally conducted tourist excurs
Omaha, Kansas city, St. Louis
chicago and the east.
For tickets or any information re
garding routes, etc., or for descriptive
advertising matter, call on agcnU of
Oregon Railway and Navigation Co.,
Oregon Short Line or Southern Piwific
B. K. HOOPER
G. P. & T. A., Denver, Col.
R. C. NICHOL, Gen'l Agt.
HOBSON MER CO.
X First K
X Sale! K
IS NOW ON AT FULL BLAST.
PRICES LOPPED OFF ON ALL
SIDES. EVERYTHING A
HOBSON MER. CO.
The Edw. P. Allis Co.
MILWAUKEE. WISCONSIN. U. S. A.
Stamp Mill, . Concentration,
Chlorination, Cyanide, Smelting,
Converting and General Mining
M. V. OROLL, I SpokBLne Wash. Office, 110 Mill Strt.
Eureka Feed & Livery Company
H. K. BROWN, Proprietor
Horses Boarded by the day or Month. First
class turn-outs and saddle horses. Our spec
ialty is the quick and safe delivery of freight
and passengers to any and all points.
2 HAY AND GRAIN FOR SALEHS
Real Estate, Loins and Insurance. Mining Patents Obtained
Years of experience in Baker County Records.
No. 2104 Court Street, linker City; Oregon.