Image provided by: Washington County Cooperative Library Service; Hillsboro, OR
About Washington County news. (Forest Grove, Washington County, Or.) 1903-1911 | View Entire Issue (Aug. 4, 1904)
Forest Grove, Washington County, Oregon, Thursday, August 4, 1904.
EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES OF FOREST GROVE
By Professor J. R. Robertson
Nothing is of greater importance to one selecting a place for a
home than the educational facilities. In this respect Forest Grove is
fortunate. It is preeminently an educational centre, and has been so
regarded for many years.
A public school provides excellent opportunities for instruction
through the ninth grade; Tualatin Academy gives a four years course
of study equivelent to that of the best high schools; and the College,
Pacific University, offers the best advantages in the way of higher edu
cation, in its four years course, its excellent equipment and thorough
The public school has a corps of seven teachers which will be in
creased to eight during the coming year. There are over four hundred
pupils enrolled and the number is growing so fast that the directors are
planning for the erection of a four room addition for the coming year.
The principal of the school, Miss Z. M. Knight came from Denver,
Colorado, where she was employed in the public schools, and is
familiar with the most recent methods of school work. Occasional talks
are given to the pupils of the school by citizens of the town and by
members of the College Faculty upon subjects of interest; a school
MARSH HALL, OF PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
library is growing both in size and usefulness to the school; the pupils
report the happenings of the school to a column given them in the city papers, and emphasis is placed upon the beautifying of the school grounds. All
these things in dicate to one appreciating elementary school facilities that it is the intention of the Directors to maintain a school that will be in the front
rank among those of the state.
The Academy is both a fitting school for the college and a place where a thorough education can be secured equivalent to that jfiven in the highschools.
The tuition, $10 a term of three months, is sufficiently low to make it possible for any one who is ambitious for an education to get one. Few parents are wil
ling that their children shall have less than a high school course, and the number is growing rapidly, of those who wish to give them the advantages of a college
course. There is a vigorous, orderly and wholesome student life which makes the school especially attractive to young people, The college atmosphere is
elevating to the younger pupils and creates an environment different from that of the high school in general. The courses of instruction are thorough and
given by those fully equipped for their work. There are no instructors who have not had a college or normal school training and some have done further work
along their special lines. Courses in bookkeeping, stenography and typewriting are given and those who wish to pursue those subjects may do so in connection
with better facilities for general education than is usually given in busi .ess schools.
The college is one of the oldest, best established, and more
favorably known institutions on the coast. It has been in
existance since 1848 and has thus won a permanent and
important place in the higher interests of the state. It has a
large list of alumrii, many of whom occupy the most prominent
places in the west. It enjoys the patronage and support of a
large circle of friends, both east and west. Its faculty numbers
twelve professors with a number of assistants. They have been
selected from the best institutions of the country and aim to
give courses equal to those of any institution of its class any
where. Students are enabled to some extent to adapt their
work to their tastes and purposes in life by selecting from
the seven courses or groups of study and also by means of a
j dicious privilege of electives.
A library of over JO,000 volumns, one of the best in the
: tate, offers good fapilties for reading and reference work. The
test magazines and periodicals are on file in the reading room.
The Scientific Laboratories are adequate to accomplish the
best results and during the past year two of the graduate stud-
( nts have gone from these laboratories to take important places
in other institutions, one is an assistant in the biological de
partment of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and
he other to a fellowship and instructorship in botony in the
tate University of Nebraska, at Lincoln.
In debating, oratory and track athletics, the college has won
he first *place in the contests of the state and a loyalty and en-
husiasm exists among the students that is a strong factor in
he success of the institution and promises much for the future.
The college has an endowment of over a quarter of a million
of dollars which is being increased from time to time and is
thus able to maintai r high standards of work. To those contemplating establishing relations for the education of children it certainly will mean much to have
them connected with an institution with a record, a firm foundation, and a progressive spirit. Pres. W. N. Ferrin, a graduate of the University of Vermont and
recently honored by that institution with the degree of Doctor of Laws, was elected president of the college a year ago and the institution is entering upon a
period of development adequate to keep it in the front rank among institutions of the coast as the countiy develops.
Connected with the College is a Conservatory of Music under the direction of Prof. Frank T. Chapman, who recently came from Ohio to be the head of the
Conservatory, and is a musician of high reputation. In the work of instruction he is assisted by Mrs. Chapman and three assistants. There are no better facili
ties for the study of music anywhere in the northwest. The location of the Conservatory only a short distance from Portland makes it possible for the students to
hear the best musicians who come there. Artists are invited to give programs before the pupils of the Conservatory and the students are trained in public
(Concluded on Third Page)