The west shore. (Portland, Or.) 1875-1891, October 01, 1887, Page 718, Image 4

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    718
THE WEST SHORE.
with their beauty and shade, and con
tribute largely to the public health by
their effect upon the atmosphere. There
are now twenty-two miles of ditches and
shade trees, maintained at the expense
of the city, the use of the water being
free to every property holder.
Two years have accomplished much
in the growth of the city, which may be
better understood from a brief summary
of its various constituents. It already
possesses six good brick buildings. Two
brick yards in the vicinity supply an
excellent quality of material, and sever
al more buildings of this substantial
nature are now in process of erection.
Many of the frame buildings are com
modious and well built Among the
more prominent buildings is that of the
Sisters of Charity of the Ilouse of Prov
idence, a brick edifice fifty by sixty feet
(sec page 731), and three and one-half
stories high, in which a school was
opened the present year. Another is
the North Yakima academy, founded by
Prof. J. M. Denison, in 1SSC. A two
story brick school house is being erect
ed for the public school, at an expense
of $10,000.00 (see page 732). It will be
completed early in the spiing, and will
bo a handsome structure. There are
about two hundred and fifty children in
the dihtrict, who can all find accommo
dation in tho new building. The school
is well graded, and is under the charge
of four teachers. A Catholic. college,
two and one-half stories in height, and
Christian, Presbyterian, Congregational
and Catholic churches, all good build
ings, complete the list of structures of
a religious and educational character.
Tho Methodist and Episcopalians have
church organizations, but no houses of
worship. Switzer's opera house, erect
ed the present season (see pnge 733), is
also an attractive brick structure, A
largo building, costing 15,000, is about
to bo erected by tho Yakima Hotel Co.
The necessity of first class hotel accom.
modations became so evident to the bos.
iness men, that they recently incorpo.
rated a company, with a capital stock of
$12,000.00, and will at once erect the
structure shown in the engraving on
pge 733. The promoters of this enter,
prise are Edward Whitson, A. B. Weed,
L. S. Howlett, J. H. Thomas, E M.
Reed, A. F. Switzer, W. H. Chapman,
Samuel Chappel, George Donald and J.
M. Adams, all prominently identified
with the growth of the city. The depot
and warehouses of the Northern Pacific
are also structures of considerable size.
The court house is a two-story frame
structure, with a brick jail beneath,
standing near the center of the engrav
ing on pages 732 and 733, giving a gen
eral view of the city. The business por
tion is shown on the right, and the chief
residence locality on the left Occupy
ing, as it does, a level site, a view of
this character can only give a general
idea of its appearance, since some por
tions of the city obstruct the view of
others. A better idea of the business
portion can be obtained from the en
graving of Yakima avenue, the chief
thoroughfare from the depot, given on
page 731, also from the smaller sketch
of First street, on page 73 L The large
view is very comprehensive, embracing
the city, valley, foot hills and distant
mountains. In the foreground appears
the North Yakima Roller Mill, which
was erected last year at a cost of $13,
000.00. This enterprise is one of the
leading evidences of the radical change
effected by the railroad. In 1885, this
region imported from outside sources,
by wagon, flour to the value of 15,0001
The present season, the new mill has
not only supplied the home demand,
but has shipped much of its home pro
duct to outside markets on Puget sound.
Athough but two years have elapsed
since the first house was built, there are